White Chapel Building, Aldgate, London
How to contact us
If you need more information on this role please contact GDS Recruitment.
How the selection process works
Our assessment is based on the Civil Service Success Profiles framework, and we start with gathering evidence that candidates have the experience and the skills required for the role.
We will inform you when your application is shortlisted, and, depending on the role, we may schedule remote or in-person assessments for the next stage.
We receive many applications, and unfortunately we’re not able to provide feedback for candidates who aren’t shortlisted.
Security and immigration checks
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check. They will have to meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is security check.
Foreign or dual nationality is not an automatic bar. However certain posts may have restrictions that could affect those who do not have sole British nationality or who have personal connections with certain countries outside the UK.
- United Kingdom or Ireland national
- Commonwealth citizen or a British protected person
- National of the European Economic Area (EEA), including Switzerland
- Turkish national who has been lawfully employed in the UK for four years in any job, or lawfully employed for three years in a job within the same occupation as the post you wish to take up within the Civil Service.
- A Non- EEA national who is the family member of an EEA, Swiss or qualifying Turkish national (as above) from another member state (non-UK) who has moved to the UK for an approved purpose.
We will consider a ‘family member’:
- The EEA national's spouse (this does not normally include the spouse of a UK national)
- A descendant of an EEA national or the spouse who is under 21 years of age
- A dependent relative in the ascending line of an EEA national or the spouse
Further information on nationality rules is available here.
Residence and restrictions
There must be no employment restriction or time limit on your permitted stay in the UK. You should normally have been resident in the United Kingdom for at least 3 years and in some cases 5 years before applying for this role, as we’re required to check your address history for security vetting.
There might be exceptions if you were abroad in an official role as a government representative, or serving with HM Forces. If you’re not sure you’re eligible based on any of these points, contact GDS Recruitment for clarification or advice.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equality of opportunity. There is a guaranteed interview scheme (GIS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Note for Civil Servants only
If you work within another Government department and still in your probationary period you may not eligible to apply for vacancies within this department. Please email us to check before applying.
Any move across the Civil Service on or after 4th October 2018 may have implications on an employee’s ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers. Instead, you will need to see if you are eligible under the Tax Free Childcare scheme.