Salary: £52,500 - £70,000 - negotiable and depending on experience - Internal loan Terms and Conditions apply for Civil Servant applicants
Contract type: Permanent
Grade: Grade 7
Hours: 37 per week (excluding lunch)
Working pattern: flexible working, full-time, part-time, job share
Location: The White Chapel Building, 10 Whitechapel High Street, London, E1 8QS
Closing date for applications: Rolling, please apply as soon as possible
Who we are
The Government Digital Service (GDS) is part of the Cabinet Office. We lead the digital transformation of the UK government so that it works better for everyone. Our work is user-focused, dynamic and forward-looking, making our organisation an exciting and innovative place to work.
Find out more at the GDS Blog.
Our reliability engineering team
Helps GDS product teams deliver secure, reliable, and resilient products faster, in a consistent way and at a lower cost. As part of Reliability Engineering you will work in various mission teams providing operational tools, platforms, guidance, and support so product teams can easily integrate them into their services and build reliable services that are secure, don’t break when they scale, are supported and able to recover quickly from disasters.
If you’re committed to improving user experience, and you want to help us make government better, please get in touch!
What you’ll do
We’re looking for people with good interpersonal skills who enjoy working in a delivery focused, agile environment.
As a Site Reliability Engineer in GDS you’ll:
- have and apply broad knowledge of core web technologies
- take responsibility for solving complex issues
- automate tasks, deployments, and tests by creating infrastructure as code, taking responsibility for the quality of code you produce
- implement resilient, highly available systems
- share knowledge of tools and techniques with your wider team
- act as a digital ambassador, supporting recruitment, identifying good practices for GDS to adopt and sharing experiences, eg through blog posts, tech talks at conferences etc.
- participate in our in-house (2nd line) support, and the out-of-hours support rota - you’ll be paid an allowance, and a further hourly payment, for any duties you perform when on call
- share knowledge among the GDS teams, ensuring that your team is understood by others and understanding the working of the wider organisation
As a Senior Site Reliability Engineer you’ll also:
- provide technical leadership within the team, advising and working with Reliability Engineers and product teams to identify the best solutions
Who you are
We’re interested in people who:
- are experienced with UNIX-like operating systems and technologies used for web applications, e.g Linux, databases, backups, CDNs
- are experienced with AWS and the use of orchestration tools such as Terraform, Cloud Foundry, Kubernetes
- understand software design principles
- take a systematic approach to solving problems
- use testing to validate solutions
- understand agile environments and version control
- are familiar with web security
- understand network protocols, eg HTTPS, TLS etc
- have familarity with working practices such as test driven development, continuous integration and continuous delivery
Senior Site Reliability Engineers will also have experience of:
- leading teams and projects, line management, helping colleagues with their career development and coaching more junior staff members
What we value
Respect, collaboration and trust are at the core of our culture. We trust each other to do our best work. We believe in our mission and work for the whole population. We can only do that by being an inclusive and diverse organisation.
In the Civil Service, we use our Success Profiles. This means for each role we advertise we consider what you will need to demonstrate in order to be successful. This gives us the best possible chance of finding the right person for the job, drives up performance and improves diversity and inclusivity.
We will be looking at your experience, career history and achievements that are relevant to the specific job role. For this role we will be assessing your ability, experience, technical/specialist skill and behaviours, the following behaviours are the most relevant:
- working together
- changing and improving
- making effective decisions
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status.
Things you need to know
You can find out about the application process and practical details like our office locations on the things you need to know page.
Working at GDS is great. You'll get
working including part-time working and job sharing
- Civil service pension with an average employer contribution of 22%
annual leave and an extra day off for the Queen's birthday
Training and development
loans for travel
Bike loans and
secure bike parking (subject to availability)