Salary: £48,480 - £60,484 - Internal loans Ts and Cs apply for CS applicants
Contract type: Permanent
Grade: Cabinet Office Band A
Number of open roles: 3
Hours: 37 hours/week (42 hours incl. lunch)
Working pattern: flexible working, full-time, part-time, job share
Closing date for applications: ongoing
CV sift date & Interviews: ongoing
Interview location: The White Chapel Building, 10 Whitechapel High Street, London, E1 8QS
GDS leads digital transformation in government, collaborating with teams from other departments to help them build better public services. Alongside those departmental teams, we’re transforming government together.
Find out more at the GDS Blog.
It takes a cutting edge technology stack to support the cutting edge digital projects we are building here at GDS, and security is at the heart of everything we do.
The Cyber Security team are looking for skilled full-stack developers with a keen interest in security to help us deliver the tooling, practices and processes that keep our systems and applications safe in a modern, Agile way.
This is an exciting opportunity to work across a wide platform of modern technologies including PaaS, containerisation and serverless compute (Lambda) integrating and developing API’s, automation bots (vulnerability, intrusion, compliance, secrets) and other security tools for the team and wider GDS tech-community.
- build security tools and API’s for developer and systems to consume
- lead technical projects to build, implement or enhance security of our platforms
- evangelising security to technology and wider business colleagues
- work with teams to continuously improve the security of our platforms at both system and application level, including hands-on server hardening and secure build pipelines
- participate in our in-house (2nd line) support, including out-of-hours support in unusual circumstances.
Skills and experience
It’s essential that you have:
- good understanding of Python/Ruby (or another modern web language) within a software development team and a willingness to learn new technologies and languages
- good understanding of building API’s and RESTful web services
- experience of log aggregation tools and techniques, including analysis and reporting
- experience building, managing and deploying modern technical systems in Amazon Web Services
- excellent communication skills
It is desirable, but not necessary that you have some of:
- working knowledge of Linux
- experience of configuration management processes and tools – eg Puppet, Ansible, Fabric or Capistrano.
- experience of working with different IaaS and PaaS cloud environments
- experience of working in an Agile environment as part of a multidisciplinary team
EU Exit Project
There is a high demand for Developers (Cyber) work on priority EU exit digital programmes across the Civil Service. Developers (Cyber) employed by GDS may be temporarily deployed to other government departments to support this work.
Deployment is an opportunity to work on some of the most important and interesting programmes in government. It offers valuable experience of fast paced delivery, cross departmental collaboration and holding an ambassadorial role for GDS’s transformational approach to public service. You will continue to be employed by GDS and can claim necessary expenses for travel or accommodation.
If you have a preference for working on EU exit programmes please note this on your application. We will take this into account when deciding how to best deploy staff, although we cannot guarantee everyone will get their first preference.
Civil Service Competencies
In the Civil Service we use our Competency Framework to outline expected behaviours and we will use these as part of our wider assessment during the interview process.
For this role, the following competencies are the most relevant:
- seeing the big picture
- changing and improving
- making effective decisions
- collaborating and partnering
- managing a quality service
- delivering at pace
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status.
Things you need to know
You can find out about the application process and practical details like our office locations on the things you need to know page.
Working at GDS is great. You'll get
working including part-time working and job sharing
- Civil service pension with an average employer contribution of 22%
annual leave and an extra day off for the Queen's birthday
Training and development
loans for travel
Bike loans and
secure bike parking (subject to availability)