Salary: £48,000 + depending on experience - Internal loans Ts and Cs apply for CS applicants
Contract type: Permanent
Grade: Cabinet Office Band A
Number of open roles: 2
Hours: 37 hours/week (42 hours incl. lunch)
Working pattern: flexible working, full-time, part-time, job share
Closing date for applications: 24th June 2018
CV sift & Interviews: Ongoing so please apply as soon as possible
Interview location: The White Chapel Building, 10 Whitechapel High Street, London, E1 8QS
GDS leads digital transformation in government, collaborating with teams from other departments to help them build better public services. Alongside those departmental teams, we’re transforming government together.
Find out more at the GDS Blog.
We are looking for someone to work on the delivery of quality services and help us maintain and improve our assurance processes.
GDS continues to develop and maintain GOV.UK Verify, along with developing a growing portfolio of platforms that aim to ease and improve the development of citizen facing services.
As a Senior Quality Analyst, it will be your responsibility to ensure multidisciplinary product teams on a programme such as Verify continue to put quality control at the heart of all their work and that automation is prioritised. You will ensure new team members receive an introduction to quality assurance and the training to build the right processes and tools into development practices. Since GDS works in an agile way, you’ll need to ensure our quality assurance processes support and enhance this delivery.
You will work with product managers, technologists, designers and others to think beyond software testing, considering quality in general and the kind of trade-offs that are needed for it to be obtained. It is an exciting time on Verify, with multiple teams of great people working to enable the delivery of our strategy.
This role will involve promoting agile and automated testing practices across the programme, supporting digital transformation. In a wider remit, you will act as the voice on quality assurance issues, making sure good practice and emerging patterns are shared across the programme, and helping us respond in an effective and timely matter when we’re asked to provide assurance to support other services.
Above all, this is an opportunity to define what quality means in a program that delivers critical services to millions of people.
Skills and experience
- working in an agile environment
- have an impact and influence individuals at a programme level for driving Quality
- creating roadmaps and coming up with test strategies / automation techniques for multiple projects in short time intervals
- highlight risk of various approaches and possible guidelines.
- experience of testing complex web applications, service oriented architectures and microservices
- able to analyse and collect information and evidence, identify problems and opportunities and ensure recommendations fit with strategic business objectives.
- collaborate with different team members across the program to make sure quality is embedded in people, processes and technology
- able to think outside the box, ask the right questions, and can critically evaluate and communicate findings to a larger team.
- experience in practices like Test Driven Development (TDD), Behaviour-Driven Development (BDD) by pairing with the developers to implement automated tests
- experience in Continuous Integration (CI), Continuous Delivery (CD)
- able to design and execute non-functional testing like performance, security and accessibility by using standard testing techniques
- effective in utilising a range of contemporary technologies including cloud platforms, open source and ‘aaS’ services to better enable and enhance the delivery of Quality Assurance and Testing services.
- able to provide constructive challenge.
- Have a presence in external test communities and regularly share learning
- awareness of software architecture, coding or scripting languages.
- knowledge of SAML and API testing
EU Exit Project
There is a high demand for Senior Quality Assurance Analysts to work on priority EU exit digital programmes across the Civil Service. Senior Quality Assurance Analysts employed by GDS may be temporarily deployed to other government departments to support this work.
Deployment is an opportunity to work on some of the most important and interesting programmes in government. It offers valuable experience of fast paced delivery, cross departmental collaboration and holding an ambassadorial role for GDS’s transformational approach to public service. You will continue to be employed by GDS and can claim necessary expenses for travel or accommodation.
If you have a preference for working on EU exit programmes please note this on your application. We will take this into account when deciding how to best deploy staff, although we cannot guarantee everyone will get their first preference.
Civil Service Competencies
In the Civil Service we use our Competency Framework to outline expected behaviours and we will use these as part of our wider assessment during the interview process.
For this role, the following competencies are the most relevant:
- changing and improving
- managing a quality service
- collaborating and partnering
- building capability for all
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status.
Things you need to know
You can find out about the application process and practical details like our office locations on the things you need to know page.
Working at GDS is great. You'll get
working including part-time working and job sharing
- Civil service pension with an average employer contribution of 22%
annual leave and an extra day off for the Queen's birthday
Training and development
loans for travel
Bike loans and
secure bike parking (subject to availability)