Technician Specialist I
GCP Applied Technologies is a leading global provider of construction products technologies that include additives for cement and concrete, the VERIFI® in-transit concrete management system, high-performance waterproofing products, and specialty systems. GCP products have been used to build some of the world’s most renowned structures. With annual sales of $1 billion, GCP has about 2000 employees and operations in over 60 countries, with headquarters in Cambridge, MA. For more information, visit www.gcpat.com.
GCP is seeking a full-time technician to join our team at Cambridge MA to conduct research making innovative technologies that will enable the production of sustainable construction materials. GCP is an equal opportunity employer, offering a robust Benefits package including health, tuition reimbursement related to the field you are working and strong 401k plan.The Technician Specialist provides technical support to engineers and scientists by performing lab and field tests and compiling and analyzing data.
- Selects routine tests needed to complete work. This includes test set-up, (under supervisor's approval) ordering supplies and lab equipment, ensuring supplies stocks are in place.
- Working under the guidelines set by the supervisor, sets up and adjusts experimental materials and equipment, as needed.
- Prepares samples for laboratory evaluation and customer sampling.
- Operates and maintains all lab equipment.
- Recognizes deviation from usual testing or equipment operations and makes major adjustments.
- Responsible for executing routine instrument calibration.
- Records and compiles data into computer.
- Summarizes and reports data, making suggestions in interpreting results.
- May need to train other technicians on simple test equipment and procedures.
High School & 3 years; Tech AA & 2 years; BS/BA & 0 years
- Minimum 2 years experience in lab environment
- Solid background in chemistry or chemical science
- Experience handling powder and/or liquid chemicals, Bench top mixing experience a plus
- Adept in utilization of computer based applications, data processing software, data management
- Motivated to learn additional chemical analytical techniques and instrumentation, when necessary
- Ability to develop new testing protocols
- Demonstrates initiative, some independent judgement, and knowledge of scientific principles in the work area.
- Ability to assemble and operate complex equipment from plans or verbal instruction.
- Excellent Safety track record
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills (English)
- An ability to handle several tasks simultaneously
- Interest and ability to excel in a fast-paced, team environment
- Enthusiasm and eagerness to learn
- Good manual dexterity and mechanical aptitude
- Ability to handle physically demanding tasks (e.g., lifting of 40 pounds, field testing)