Responsible for supervising the production activities at the Los Angeles, CA, SCC manufacturing facility. Directly supervises hourly employees and contractor during daily work operations. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems. Manufacture product in accordance with customer demand and meet the financial, safety, and quality objectives of the business.
- High School Diploma required
- Additional education is a plus
- 1-3 years supervisory experience in a manufacturing environment
- Familiarity with Lean Manufacturing and Six Sigma tools at Greenbelt level is preferred
- Strong Commitment to EHS, quality, and customer service
- Forklift Certification is a Plus
- Computer Skills are required and SAP Production Module experience is preferred.
Special Requirements (includes Necessary Language skills):
- Applicants must have strong reading, math, and technical skills, and the ability to qualify on various processes and equipment in a dynamic chemical manufacturing environment.
- Applicant must be able to communicate clearly in English, both verbally and in writing.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs and be able to work in outdoor, ambient temperature conditions.
All employees at the Los Angeles, CA manufacturing site are responsible and held accountable for achieving compliance with our EHS procedures and policies.
Supervises and coordinates activities of workers engaged in operating a variety of machines to manufacture specialty chemicals by performing the following duties:
- Upholds the highest standards of safety, ethics, quality, and housekeeping.
- Ensures compliance with all environmental, health and safety standards. Identifies and reports or resolves hazards.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating instructions, formulas, and procedure manuals. Ability to communicate effectively through verbal and written channels. Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed written or oral instructions.
- Ensures efficient use of resources.
- Coaches and counsels operations personnel in the assignment of duties, and adjusts the schedule as needed to meet production requirements.
- Possesses knowledge of equipment and process operation, and assists in a hands-on manner, when employees are absent, volume demand, breakdown and weekends. Scheduling by using manual and automatic operation of batching processes through field controls and computer controlled interface systems as needed.
- Safely handles, stores, and transports chemicals.
- Cross train in Quality Control Procedures and serve as back-up as needed to sample and analyze production batches.
- Directs workers in adjusting equipment and processes to correct products which fail to meet quality standards.
- Responds to emergency situations including emergency shutdown procedures.
- Generates or files reports as requested (data sheets, environmental reporting, inventory sheets, forklift inspection reports, etc.)
- Ensures awareness of business goals and works to drive to completion.
- Completes all regulatory testing and conducts safety meetings for operations personnel as required.
- Schedules maintenance work as required to ensure ongoing operation of equipment.
- Develops, recommends, and implements measures to improve production methods, equipment performance, and quality of product. Uses a Continuous Improvement mindset to drive productivity and operational excellence through Six Sigma and Lean methodology.
- Analyzes and resolves production issues, including enforcing labor relations policies and resolving disputes.
- Maintains time and production records.
- The Production Supervisor will be responsible for annual budgets and maintaining all plant related expenses.
The supervisor may be required to work weekends and/or a holiday as dictated by demand at the time.
While performing the duties of this job, the supervisor is required to stand, walk, sit, and climb or balance. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
While performing the duties of this job, the supervisor is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and moving mechanical parts. The supervisor is occasionally exposed to high places; fumes or airborne particles; chemicals (acids and bases); outside weather conditions; heat; noise and vibration.
Additional Information: Employees under this person’s supervision will be hourly, non-union employees responsible for production, packaging, and shipping and receiving duties. The site runs a single or split shift operation, 5 days per week.