Applications Support Specialist
Job Type: Full-Time
The Gateway to Your Future
The Application Support Specialist is responsible for the support and administration of applications and services used for the production, management, and delivery of content and online services to the business. The incumbent will collaborate with team members and functional stakeholders to provide support and technology solutions for the Gaming Management System.
This role is based out of our Toronto office and the ability to occasionally travel between casino sites is required.
- Full benefits package for full-time employees
- Retirement savings plan
- Exciting, supportive and fun work environment
- Family and friends discounts on travel, tech, food, beverage, and fitness
- Development and training opportunities
- Maintain production systems related to Gaming Management Systems and Services. This includes development, staging and production environments.
- Ensure application standards and guidelines are applied and maintained for administration, deployment and monitoring, over a range of platforms that are largely comprised of industry standard components. This includes applications, web server components and databases.
- Develop and apply an in-depth understanding of business processes to ensure application and service processes and outputs are error free and complete.
- Ensure application continuity and quality by owning the resolution of issues across platforms; track progress and escalate as appropriate.
- Review and ensure complete and appropriate handover of documentation prior to operational acceptance of new or changed applications.
- Ensure that applications and related services are documented and kept current.
- Keep abreast of technical developments of operational importance to the company, and to participate in developing or setting standards as directed.
- Contribute to process development and best practice. To look at new ways to improve resilience, performance levels and supportability.
- Manage change control implications for designated systems.
- Provide capacity planning, monitoring, and maintenance of designated system(s).
- Identify trends or problems (as defined under ITIL).
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with all stakeholders.
- Undertake advanced administration tasks as required (e.g. to support problem resolution).
- Support the infrastructure teams and the 24/7 group in deploying applications and solving problems.
- Participate in the on-call support to the 24/7 team.
What You Bring
- Post-secondary Diploma/Degree in computing science, Information Technology or related field
- A proven track record of successful project implementation in a software and technology implementation environment.
- Experience working collaboratively with multidisciplinary teams with a focus on delivery in a rapidly changing environment.
- Experience developing and maintaining applications in a multiplatform environment (Windows Server and/or Linux environments).
- Previous experience in a support or customer facing role.
- Formal training in Application Systems Development Life Cycle Management methods and techniques.
- Experience delivering production support in a 24/7 operation.
- Hands-on experience with Sybase, Microsoft Operating Systems, Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle, Linux, Java and .NET environment. Gaming technology experience including Bally GMS Version 15
- Experience with Casino Market Place, Slot Data Systems and other Gaming and Entertainment related systems.
- Experience with POS Systems – Squirrel or Micros.
- Knowledge of Enterprise level centralized and decentralized architectures, their strengths and weaknesses.
- Application testing approaches, including smoke, regression, and load/performance testing.
- Developing, documenting and executing test plans and test cases.
- Ability to manage third party vendors, and develop conceptual understanding of black-box systems
- Knowledge of application security paradigms and related testing approaches
- Knowledge of high availability database (MS SQL, Oracle) designs and database connectivity methods
- Familiarity with data analysis, data quality and governance concepts
- Familiarity with Cloud-based web technology stacks, their administration and configuration
- Strong understanding of API’s, interface data flows and message queue technologies (Mulesoft or similar)
- Ability to troubleshoot new and grand-fathered applications and interfaces
- Knowledge and experience with application monitoring tools (AppDynamics or similar)
- Exposure to ITIL methodologies.
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience of three or more of the following:building highly scalable systems
- automated deployment
- source control and release management tools
- monitoring tools and/or transaction monitoring
- virtualization of applications particularly using VMware and converged infrastructure
- Experience in multiple database environments
- Experience in programming languages / scripting e.g. Unix shell or Perl
- Excellent organization, written, and client facing skills
- Critical thinking, self-motivation, and multi-tasking skills.
- Review processes and implement efficiency enhancing procedures.
- Ability to use and understand Microsoft Office Applications (Project, Excel, Words, Visio, etc.) email, Internet navigation and presentation software (PowerPoint or other software).
Why Work With Us?
Gateway celebrates and empowers our team members, who make it all possible. A career at Gateway means working with great people, being recognized for your unique contribution and career advancement opportunities across our 27 locations. Our employees thrive with ongoing training and leadership programs while working in a dynamic and fun environment. See for yourself what it’s like to be on a team that values your vision, skill and energy.
Get to Know Gateway
Gateway Casinos & Entertainment Limited (“Gateway”) is one of the largest and most diversified gaming and entertainment companies in Canada. Across its 27 gaming properties in British Columbia, Ontario and Edmonton, Alberta, Gateway currently employs approximately 8,648 people and boasts approximately 448 table games (including 49 poker tables), 13,887 slots, 85 restaurants and bars and 561 hotel rooms. Gateway is the service provider for the Central, Southwest and North gaming Bundles in Ontario, which includes 11 properties in their portfolio. A multi-pronged growth strategy has seen Gateway diversify and expand its product offering, including developing proprietary casino and restaurant brands, dramatically improving the gaming customer experience while attracting new customers. Some of Gateway's proprietary brands include Match Eatery & Public House, Atlas Steak + Fish and the new Halley's Club. In 2017, Gateway celebrated 25 years in the business of gaming and entertainment in Canada. Further information is available at www.gatewaycasinos.com.
Not the right fit this time? Follow us on our careers social media pages!
Gateway is a proud equal opportunity employer and dedicates itself to Respect, Integrity, Team-Work and Exceptional Customer Service. We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free candidate experience and work environment. If you require accommodation at any point during the recruitment and selection process, please let us know.