Disability and Wellness Specialist
Job Type: Full-Time
The Gateway to Your Future
This position partners with key business leaders across the company to ensure the effective development, implementation, and management of disability and wellness programs. This position will use their knowledge and expertise to support the management of occupational and non-occupational disability claims , stay-at-work and return-to-work efforts, workplace accommodations, attendance management, and wellness programs. The focus of this role is to build wellness and disability/absence management into a competitive advantage through the development and oversight of effective systems, resources, education, and health promotion programs as well as the implementation of effective claims management initiatives
- Full benefits package for full-time employees
- Retirement savings plan
- Exciting, supportive and fun work environment
- Family and friends discounts on travel, tech, food, beverage, and fitness
- Development and training opportunities
- Develops, implements and monitors claims and disability management programs and policies in support of the overall initiatives of the company.
- Develops and maintains an integrated wellness strategy for the company, with the goal of reducing absenteeism and health benefit utilization by employees.
- Provides support, guidance and direction for the effective management of occupational and non-occupational claims.
- Provides management recommendations, data, analysis, and direction to reduce costs, frequency and severity of claims. Advice and guidance will be given in the context of legal implications, potential risks, overall HR and organizational strategy, implications on policies, practices and collective agreements, mitigating and minimizing risk.
- Establishes and ensures the effective use of disability management tools and resources across the company.
- Develops, implements, and rolls out training materials in the areas of disability management, including workplace accommodations, stay-at-work and return-to-work plans, and attendance management.
- Oversees claims management initiatives including representation at applicable hearings, where required.
- Supports in the interpretation and administration of initiatives, programs and/or policies relating to disability management, accommodations and absenteeism. Ensures that decisions related to these areas are appropriate with respect to legislation and the best interests of the company.
- Measures and analyzes relevant statistics and recommends actions for improvement opportunities. Solicits feedback from stakeholders to ensure program and service provisions are met.
- Work in partnership with the Health and Safety Department to identify prevention strategies based on occupational claims trends.
- Coordinates and confers with HR and operations management staff as well as other stakeholders to resolve operating issues and makes decisions and provides authorization within the scope of this position.
- Reviews liabilities and potential risks and provides guidance, recommendations and/or directives as appropriate to mitigate and/or manage them within acceptable limits.
- Oversees the review and negotiation of contracts and service agreements for third party suppliers and service providers to maximize corporate economies of scale.
- Provides expert advice and contributes to the development of communications, issues management, public affairs, media relations, government relations, and stakeholder consultation plans and strategies.
- Develops and maintains contacts within the industry and liaises with professional associations, and other relevant organizations to remain current in the field.
What You Bring
- Diploma or degree in relevant field or equivalent combination of experience and education
- 3+ years of experience in leading disability management (occupational and non-occupational) and wellness initiatives in a multi-site organization
- Experience in hospitality, gaming, food and beverage and/or hotels is preferred
- High level of critical and logical thinking, analysis, and/or reasoning to identify underlying principles, reasons and facts
- Strong business knowledge and analysis
- Accountable and results oriented
- Ability to engage as a business advisor, to use subject matter expertise as a source of authority, and to problem solve and evaluate performance results
- Understanding and applied knowledge of the various legislative requirements that fall within this portfolio, such as the Occupational Health & Safety Act, Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, Employment Standards Act, Human Rights Code and workers’ compensation legislation across the applicable jurisdictions in which Gateway Casinos operate (e.g. WorkSafe BC, WCB Alberta and WSIB Ontario)
- Current knowledge in the HR field with respect to litigation trends, Human Rights policy directives/changes, changes to provincial Acts and Regulations
- Excellent management writing, verbal communication skills and exceptional ability to build positive business relationships
- Professional presentation and public speaking skills
- Strong judgement, diplomacy, coaching, negotiation, decision making, and conflict resolution skills
- Computer literacy, including effective working skills with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, e-mail and Internet navigation
Why Work With Us?
Gateway celebrates and empowers our team members, who make it all possible. A career at Gateway means working with great people, being recognized for your unique contribution and career advancement opportunities across our 27 locations. Our employees thrive with ongoing training and leadership programs while working in a dynamic and fun environment. See for yourself what it?s like to be on a team that values your vision, skill and energy.
Get to Know Gateway
Gateway Casinos & Entertainment Limited (?Gateway?) is one of the largest and most diversified gaming and entertainment companies in Canada. Across its 27 gaming properties in British Columbia, Ontario and Edmonton, Alberta, Gateway currently employs approximately 8,648 people and boasts approximately 448 table games (including 49 poker tables), 13,887 slots, 85 restaurants and bars and 561 hotel rooms. Gateway is the service provider for the Central, Southwest and North gaming Bundles in Ontario, which includes 11 properties in their portfolio. A multi-pronged growth strategy has seen Gateway diversify and expand its product offering, including developing proprietary casino and restaurant brands, dramatically improving the gaming customer experience while attracting new customers. Some of Gateway's proprietary brands include Match Eatery & Public House, Atlas Steak + Fish and the new Halley's Club. In 2017, Gateway celebrated 25 years in the business of gaming and entertainment in Canada. Further information is available at www.gatewaycasinos.com.
What Is Next
Not the right fit this time? Follow us on our careers social media pages!
Gateway is a proud equal opportunity employer and dedicates itself to Respect, Integrity, Team-Work and Exceptional Customer Service. We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free candidate experience and work environment. If you require accommodation at any point during the recruitment and selection process, please let us know.