Network Engineer, - Job Description
This position is responsible for, Telecommunications Engineering of Outside Plant in a local service exchange environment. Subject matter expert for all technical aspects of outside plant facilities and associated work such as; cable sizing, cable counts, cable records and permitting for Right of Way and easements. This position works as a team member with Network Planning, Central Office and Transmission & Operations to support the growth, replacements and upgrade of telecommunications plant facilities.
This person provides frontline project management for all construction activities associated with outside plant activity. This position also supports sales, marketing, operations and regulatory as needed.
- Engineer, design and prepare project prints and update mapping records in Frogs (CAD).
- Prepare project justifications for approvals.
- Maintain inter-company relations to provide information needed by sales, marketing, regulatory and operations for special projects; Pre-qualifications and cost estimates for sales, boundary information, easement and ROW recording, as well as service orders)
- Prepare and monitor the capital budget plan. Assist in quarterly/annual budgets
- Prepare cost estimates for the sales team
- Prepare estimates for Fiber builds and present to SR leadership
- Maintain and investigate Right of Ways and easements for releases
- Maintain relations and communications by attending pre-construction meetings with the state, county, city, townships, developers and DNR in order to stay abreast of changes, growth, planning and permitting requirements for each serving exchange.
- Frontline project management for construction activities
- Perform field staking for pole placement, manholes, handholds, or other items placed in the field
- Proactive review of outside plant facilities to determine necessary upgrades and enhancements
- Coordinate with all utilities for project design and construction to utilize joint trench
- Maintain accurate cable records and updates
- Prepare Copper loop studies as needed
- Track and Maintain Fiber records
- Respond to Delayed orders to meet service needs
- Update records as needed
- Digitize land base into GIS system (CAD)
- Code and approve contractor invoices
- Project management oversight of all OSP capital construction activities to insure conformance to requirements.
Knowledge of outside plant and engineering tools to include GIS system (FROGS or CAD), measuring wheel, height stick, basic knowledge of national electric codes.
Organizational skills, communication skills (written and verbal) and customer relations will be utilized in achieving desired results. Outside plant construction project management experience and inventory management experience. Experience in Right of Way, private easement and permitting with local, state and federal entities.
Preferred five (5) years’ experience in the telecommunications field with qualified exposure to various fields of engineering.
Strong Computer Skills in Window Products and must be able to learn new computer programs as required to perform job functions.
Physical demands involve working extended hours where necessary, overnight travel, driver's license, able to work at computer station for extended periods, able to work outside in extreme heat/cold and assume on call supervisor duties as needed.
Frontier Communications is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.