Title: Inside Technician (Central Office)
Location: Marlinton, WV
Tests, analyzes and interprets data for trouble shooting in switching equipment, computer systems, data networks and associated peripherals. Operates and maintains various switching, data network and computer processing equipment. Installs, updates, accepts, tests, and initializes systems and equipment. Monitors switching equipment, computer systems, and data networks. Responsible for maintaining accurate and complete records and taking any corrective action as needed.
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Operating and maintaining all types, including legacy systems as well as next generation technologies, of local and toll switching equipment, data network equipment, computer processing equipment and associated peripherals. Assisting with or performing system and equipment installations, acceptance testing and initialization.
- Performing and verifying generic upgrades, system reconfigurations, F.C.O.'s hardware changes and system relocations.
- Assigning cable pairs and installing interfaces to ports, and associated computer equipment.
- Performing daily backups and routine monitoring of switches, computer systems and data networks.
- Monitoring switching equipment computer systems, networks to ensure they are operating at optimal levels. Corrective action taken as needed.
- Tracking, analyzing, and reviewing system alarms, logs, trouble reports, traffic measurement reports, etc. Corrective action taken as needed.
- Performing tests, analyzing data and interpreting manuals and wiring diagrams to locate and clear trouble conditions in switching equipment, computer systems, data networks and associated peripherals.
- Performing coordination and testing functions associated with the services provisioning activities.
- Extracting routine system and customer reports as required.
- Planning jobs and determining materials, tools, force, to complete tasks. Developing schedules for completing tasks. Adjusting priorities and informing work team when problems arise.
- Gathering information required for projects or assignments. Researching relevant sources to ensure that information is current and relevant. Carefully reading forms, diagrams and other documents.
- Maintaining accurate and complete records. Preparing and updating logs, records and files regularly.
- Working with field technicians that utilize complex testing devices such as protocol analyzers, transmission measuring sets, etc., while trouble shooting and installing services.
- Analyzing and verifying switching or operational support systems software including translations.
- Accessing and operating of operational support system software and hardware including systems used for specific customer contracts, such as federal contracts.
- Works inside an open office environment at a computer terminal for extended periods of time, and modifies/analyzes some software programs. May be required to travel and work in various buildings.
- May be required to perform LAN/WAN administration.
- May be required to run cables for coax, IO ports on systems and perform power cabling.
- Analyze and investigate switch AMA usage errors. Document trouble ticket and refer to correct organization for resolution.
- Actively participates in deployment and general maintenance of inventory systems and associated equipment.
- Contacting customers, external and/or internal may be required.
- May be required to perform additional duties and tasks as required by the Company.
- Tests– Results obtained in standard tests for this position must meet minimum requirements established by the Company, in accordance with Company policy.
- Must meet safety-related requirements including but not limited to those standards of safety imposed by OSHA, state agencies, manufacturers and/or the company.
- Must be able to perform physical requirements of the job, with or without a reasonable accommodation, including, but not limited to, perceiving differences in wire cable colors, moving and/or lifting items such as ladders, tools, cable, test equipment and other objects weighing up to 40 pounds, working aloft; climbing ladders and working in confined spaces to accomplish job tasks.
- May require the normal medical authorized health evaluation where appropriate.
- Security background investigation may be required.
- Where driving is required, a valid state driver's license with a satisfactory driving record. Must have ability to drive vehicle with manual gearshift.
- Must be available to work scheduled tours designated by the Collective Bargaining Agreement and/or the needs of the business. Associates may be required to work evenings, weekends, holidays, and overtime as the needs of the business necessitate. Non-scheduled days will be required as needs of the business necessitate.
Frontier Communications is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.