Sr. Systems Engineer
About Frontier Communications
Frontier® Communications provides communications services to urban, suburban, and rural communities in 29 states. Frontier offers a variety of services to residential customers over its FiOS® and Vantage™ fiber-optic and copper networks, including video, high-speed internet, advanced voice, and Frontier Secure® digital protection solutions. Frontier Business™ offers communications solutions to small, medium, and enterprise businesses.
Sr. Systems Engineer - Job Description
As a Sr. Engineer within the IP Core Engineering organization, there are numerous responsibilities to support management, peers, co-workers, regional organizations and vendors. Included in these responsibilities is the day-to-day installation of hardware upgrades, new hardware installs and removals in support of all network elements that encompass Core IP Network. This position is also responsible for all CLEC collocation locations, which includes space, power, racks and all associated peripheral equipment to support the installation and operation of hardware.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Development and execution of Engineering Work Orders (ESO).
- Perform yearly collocation (un-manned) site audits.
- Manage and perform Card Add requests.
- Perform hardware upgrades, new hardware installs and hardware removals.
- Monitor and manage inventory.
- Manage CLEC collocation locations (equipment and billing)
- Work with vendors to obtain quotes for projects.
- Support the development of the annual capital budget.
- Coordinate activities with other departments to ensure customer requests are completed by desired due dates.
- Utilize M6 to perform record validations.
- Travel as required.
- Prepare as-built engineering diagrams.
- Assist /mentor non-senior engineers.
- Develop engineering presentations, as requested.
- Strong technical, analytical, and organizational skills associated with design and implementation of hardware.
- Experience with the following hardware: Cisco routers, Juniper M/MX Series routers, Cisco access servers, Cisco Ethernet switches.
- NMS, HP Openview and UNIX processes and daemons.
- Able to fluently communicate plans, alternatives, and recommendations in both written and verbal form.
- Technical familiarity with Fiber Optic networks and SONET multiplexing.
- Technical familiarity with channel banks, multiplexers, DSX panels, digital cross connect systems.
- Computer skills including Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Visio used for formulating reports and generating presentations.
- Experience in the installation of various hardware networking elements in a CO environment.
- Understanding of DC power, which includes installation and activation.
- Understanding of fiber types, which includes the installation and activation.
*** Please note this position will transition as part of the sale to Northwest Fiber. ***
Frontier Communications is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.