Customer Zone Tech I
Job Title: Customer Zone Technician I
Req ID: 3033
Location: Port Lavaca, TX
Post Dates: 01/08/20 - 01/16/20
Union: CWA 6171 CBA 48
Installs, operates, maintains and repairs a broad range of communications equipment, transport services, customer delivery circuits and equipment such as voice switching, fiber optic, video, alarm systems and operating all associated test equipment and test platforms.
Duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Installs, operates, maintains and repairs communication equipment such as digital and analog carrier and switching systems, private line and special services circuits, microwave and associated equipment, trunking equipment, fiber optics systems, alarm systems, test equipment, etc.
- Installs, removes, rearranges, programs, tests, troubleshoots and repairs various complex voice, data, and ancillary equipment, and network services.
- Performs preventive and corrective maintenance on computer systems, digital/electronic switches, digital switching networks, electronic switch data bases and computer peripheral equipment.
- Performs service order, trunk and work order routines.
- Uses a variety of test equipment to isolate, identify and analyze equipment trouble and takes appropriate maintenance action.
- Operates computer systems and support devices; installs and tests system upgrades. Administers and maintains computer support systems databases.
- Responds to emergency service-affecting situations. Assists in trouble isolation of network and subscriber loop problems.
- Climbs towers and/or poles to inspect antennas and transmission lines, as necessary.
- May be required to perform additional duties and tasks as required by the Company.
- Indoor-outdoor work. Exposed to adverse weather conditions, dust, noise dirt, heat, poor lighting, fumes, etc.
- Works in buildings being constructed/renovated, manholes, rough terrain, traffic, aerial lifts, platforms, etc.
- Exposed to high voltage electrical power lines, explosive and/or flammable liquids and gases, oxygen deficiency, carbon monoxide, lead toxicity and asbestos materials. Works with molten lead and wax.
- Scheduled work tours may be weekday, weekend and holiday, including day, evening and night hours.
- Subject to scheduled and/or unscheduled overtime, callouts and on-call.
- Tests – Results obtained in standard tests and/or interviews for this position must meet minimum requirements established by the Company, in accordance with Company policy.
- Ability to identify and distinguish audible tones/levels and colors.
- Ability to work in confined areas.
- Ability to lift and carry tool boxes, drop wire, parts containers and installation loads, test equipment, generators, manhole/pillbox covers, etc.
- Ability to climb poles/ladders.
- Ability to lift, carry, set-up, climb and take down ladders.
- Ability to communicate naturally and pleasantly over the telephone and/or in person.
- Requires alertness and attention to detail. Ability to work under stress.
- A valid driver’s license. Able to meet medical and driver certification requirements as established by the DOT Federal Highway Safety Act. Not restricted to daylight hours. May require more specialized driver’ s license, such as Chauffeurs’ s License, based on State Regulations.
- Able to read and interpret architectural, electrical wiring diagrams.
- Able to operate analytical test equipment used to support both copper and fiber transport and delivery platforms, for example, POTS, SONET, PON, Gigabit Ethernet, etc.
- Ability to qualify for DOD security clearance.
- One year of experience in one or a combination of: Cable Splicer, Customer Equipment Technician, Customer Zone Technician II, Customer Zone Technician I, Equipment Installer, Fiber Network Field Technician, Lineworker.
- Prior knowledge of the DCO Switch and/or prior switch knowledge such as GTD5 or DMS 10, or DMS 100.
- Prior transport experience with such equipment as Lucent, Tellabs and Fujitsu.
Desire a degree in electronics technology from an accredited or recognized educational institution or equivalent experience.
Frontier Communications is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.