Sr, Network Engineer
Frontier® Communications provides communications services to urban, suburban, and rural communities in 29 states. Frontier offers a variety of services to residential customers over its FiOS® and Vantage™ fiber-optic and copper networks, including video, high-speed internet, advanced voice, and Frontier Secure® digital protection solutions. Frontier Business™ offers communications solutions to small, medium, and enterprise businesses.
A qualified candidate will have a Technical BS degree, or equal vendor certification, as well as 5+ years of professional experience within an Enterprise environment including layered services over multiple equipment vendors. An expert level of Cisco, Juniper and Nokia protocol-based routing are a must have with a self-driven work ethic to analytically drive network enhancements to resolution with Planning and Engineering teams.
Day-to-day work responsibilities:
- Isolate, troubleshoot and resolve advanced network issues on layer 3, and layer 4 network devices (routers, MPLS switches)
- Collaborates with end users and department managers regarding system and network best practices.
- Engage and lead network outage bridge activity to troubleshoot and resolve large scale network outages.
- Researches, recommends, and implements changes to enhance systems and network performance.
- Spearhead enhancement activities related to system monitoring and performance:
- Advises managers concerning MSI trends, technical problems, need for equipment, need for software upgrades, and priorities.
- Excellent project management skills with an attention to detail.
- Perform Root Cause Analysis (RCA) for network outages including what was done to resolve the issue, what can be done to reduce impact and what could be done to prevent future occurrences.
- Perform such similar, comparable, or related work as may be required, apparent or assigned.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in relevant field or equivalent vendor certification.
- Requires minimum 5+ years of networking systems experience.
- Extensive knowledge of Cisco, Juniper and Nokia technologies involved in telecommunications as well as layered connections and usage of LAN and WAN technologies.
- Hold a deep understanding of protocol routing to include but not limited to IPv4(v6), ISIS, MPLS, RSVP, BGP, OSPF.
- Network monitoring and analysis equipment and software (Netcool Suite).
- Scripting knowledge (Perl, Ruby, Python, etc.).
- Windows and Linux based Operating systems.
- Vendor Certifications – JNCIA/JNCIA, CCNP/CCIE, NRS-2, MEF-CECP
- Great communication skills, both oral and written
- Ability to work cooperatively in a team environment
- MUST be able to work any shift in a 24/7 environment
- Shift work and on-call (weekends and holidays) are required
Highly desirable experience:
- Experience maintaining and troubleshooting FiOS and OLT equipment/configuration
- Experience supporting and maintaining ATT Uverse equipment and service
- Experience troubleshooting and maintaining Metro-E circuits/equipment
- Cisco and Juniper router experience
- Experience configuring and supporting DSLAM’s: Adtran/Calix/ALU/Tellabs
- ATM/Ethernet switch experience: Ciena/ALU/Cisco
- Working knowledge of MPLS networking
- Ethernet, ATM, routing experience
- Experience with major Internet protocols such as TCP/IP, UDP, DNS, DHCP, BGP, OSPF, ICMP and RADIUS
- Knowledge of the following networking concepts: OSI model, IP sub-netting, DNS, ATM, Ethernet, troubleshooting processes, DS3/OC3/GE circuit troubleshooting
Frontier Communications is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.