External Communications Manager
WHO WE ARE:
Freedom Financial Network is a family of companies that takes a people-first approach to financial services, using technology to empower consumers to overcome debt and create a brighter financial future. The company was founded in 2002 by Brad Stroh and Andrew Housser on the belief that by staying committed to helping people, you can ensure better financial outcomes for both the customer and the business. This Heart + $ philosophy still guides the vision of our growing company, which has helped millions of people find solutions for their financial needs.
What began with 2 people in a spare bedroom has now rapidly expanded to a vibrant business that employs over 2,200 employees (known internally as The Freedom Family) in two locations: San Mateo, CA and Tempe, AZ. When you visit either of our offices, you’ll understand why our employees have voted us the Best Place to Work for the last several years. It’s a place where the Heart + $ philosophy continues to thrive, where we believe that success is only achieved by doing what’s right for our customers, our employees, and our communities.
In order to create brighter futures for our clients, employees, and businesses, Freedom Financial Network holds itself to four core values that have grown out of our Heart + $ philosophy: to care for everyone around us, act with integrity every time, collaborate with everybody we work with, and get better at what we do every day.
Who is Freedom Financial Network? A company with a story to tell. A company whose mission is to empower everyday Americans to move forward towards a better financial future. An established, profitable business with employees who love working here enough to vote it “Best Places to Work”. Whose customers say things like “they saved my marriage”, “they helped me develop a healthier relationship with money,” and “I can sleep at night now that I have Freedom in my corner.”
We are looking for a seasoned and thoughtful External Communications Manager to join our growing Communications team -- to help tell our story to consumers, to the press, to influencers, and to other key audiences. The Freedom Communications team works cross-functionally across the company to develop narratives, mine for stories, and build up our executives as thought leaders to shape perception of our brand, products and business. This is a key role on a team whose charter is to tell the story of Freedom Financial Network to its most important constituents in a way that reflects the uniqueness of the company, our employees, our customers, and the broader communities we serve.
Our External Communications Manager will be a crucial part of a developing team -- supporting the Director of Corporate Communications in consumer storytelling, thought leadership, and company announcements across our portfolio of financial solutions. The External Communications Manager will help drive Freedom’s brand, consumer, and product communications initiatives. This is an exciting time for Freedom Financial Network. We’re growing quickly, innovating daily and aggressively tackling our mission.
To be successful, you are someone who wants to have an impact, in big and small ways. You enjoy strategic work, and also thrive on tactical execution. You can work comfortably with company leadership and brand marketing teams. You build programs and platforms to engage consumer and business audiences. You jump in to solve problems and take pride in the quality of work you deliver. You are a terrific communicator and listen to all sides before stating your informed point of view. You have a track record of delivering outstanding results in a way that garners unparalleled respect from those you interface with.
- Support the Director of Corporate Communications in building, executing, and measuring strategic communications plans related to Freedom Financial Network’s consumer products and partnerships.
- Draft high-level messaging, communications strategies and supporting content (press releases, blog and newsroom posts, key messages, FAQ, pitch notes, etc.) for announcements, activations, partnerships, and product launches.
- Customer stories – partner with customer success, brand marketing, content, creative, and other teams to develop customer stories in various formats (case studies, videos, presentations, webinars, videos, etc.)
- Strategic Content Creation -- Partner with the content and SEO teams to develop the content strategies to fulfill brand awareness, SEO, and thought leadership objectives.
- Build relationships with reporters and secure top tier coverage to reach our portfolio’s target audience.
- Develop internal relationships and attend cross-functional portfolio meetings to stay informed on key initiatives and identify strategic storytelling opportunities.
- Quickly connect dots and information gather to respond to portfolio-related crises and issues.
- Identify strategic speaking and thought leadership opportunities for Freedom Financial Network executives and thought leaders.
- Help build out Freedom’s relationships with key press, industry influencers, academics and others.
- Develop and manage our influencer/personal finance and blogger outreach programs.
- Bachelor's degree in PR/Communications-related field.
- 5-7 years of experience in product, trade, financial services, and/or partnership communications, preferably with experience in both agency and in-house settings.
- Knowledge of basic web design and technology principles and their SEO implications
- Proficiency with analytics tools Cision, Google Analytics 360, SEO tools (Moz, SEMRush, Google Adwords) and WordPress.
- Strong writer with vision and perspective to help shape narratives and comms strategies on both the portfolio and specific announcement level.
- Deep experience with media relations and proven results securing coverage across a variety of media beats and tiers.
- Creative, opportunistic and proactive storyteller who is constantly mining for stories and unafraid to dig in, research and pitch angles and ideas to the team.
- Energetic, assertive, results-oriented, self-starter with the desire and ability to go above and beyond. Seeks opportunities to contribute to the team’s broader success.
- You love the news and have a fluency with news organizations, reporters and the various ways they communicate.
CULTURAL FIT (Our Core Values):
- Care (for everyone): We show compassion and contribute to the well-being and growth of those around us. We only pursue products that improve the financial lives of our clients.
- Act with Integrity (every time): We take the right action even when it is hard and even when no one is watching. We treat our employees, clients, and communities the way they wish to be treated.
- Get Better (every day): We innovate, iterate, and improve each day. We are creative, take thoughtful risks, and ultimately learn and recover from failures.
- Collaborate (with everybody): We strive to work together toward a common purpose by proactively sharing information and inviting participation. We recognize the perspective of various groups and embrace healthy, constructive debate.
WHY JOIN THE FREEDOM FAMILY?
- Fast, continued growth – there’s a lot of opportunity for advancement
- Voted a Phoenix Best Place to Work 9 times by our employees including the #1 spot for 2 years in a row!
- Benefits start within 30 days
- 401k with employer match
- 3 weeks’ paid vacation (increased with tenure)
- 9 paid holidays & 5 sick days
- Paid time off for volunteer work and on your birthday
Attention Agencies & Search Firms: We do not accept unsolicited candidate resumes or profiles. Please do not reach out to anyone within Freedom Financial Network (FFN) to market your services or candidates. All inquiries should be directed to Talent Acquisition only. We reserve the right to hire any candidates sent unsolicited and will not pay any fees without a contract signed by FFN’s Talent Acquisition leader.