Energy Sales Consultant
We provide our utility clients with a wide range of energy-saving and renewable energy solutions. From individual utility customers and construction contractors, to utilities, municipalities, and government bodies, our clients have come to depend on our customized energy efficiency programs to help them to meet their energy saving goals.
The Energy Sales Consultant will identify opportunities regarding energy efficiency and introduce the various prescriptive and custom incentive measures that pertain to the customer segment. This role is primarily responsible for providing expert advice and coordination for our programs while recommending specific modifications to electric and/or gas systems; you will also persuade prospective clients of the improved efficiency that project installations will bring. This role combines field work and sales. You will also be working with others who are passionate about energy efficiency and making a positive impact on the industry.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
This list of duties and responsibilities is not all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties and responsibilities, as management may deem necessary from time to time.
- Sell the virtues of participating in energy efficiency programs and committing to energy efficiency projects
- Effectively combine outreach and prospecting with project identification and relationship building.
- Work with building owners and property managers to provide energy efficiency advice and assistance in participating in energy efficiency programs
- Work with customer to establish energy management committees and help them identify and prioritize energy efficiency projects
- Develop outreach plan with Program Manager to target key market segments in order to maximize team’s attainment of efficiency goals. Adjust plan over time in response to changing market conditions.
- Identify and provide documentation of on-site opportunities for energy efficiency. Integrate additional products and services into customer operations to improve customer service and satisfaction.
- Maintain a rigorous sales/follow up process. Proactively communicate with customer to initiate projects and to move projects towards completion.
- Utilize Salesforce or other technologies provided.
- Understand and implement the company’s Sales Process, including but not limited to;
- Making outbound calls to new and existing customers to meet assigned energy saving targets
- Proactively identify barriers
- Managing field time effectively with customer or Trade Alleys
- Developing and presenting program presentations to spur project activity
- Set and hit daily, weekly, monthly and yearly activity goals regarding outbound calls and customer and trade alley visits.
- Drive the implementation of outreach processes within specific energy efficiency programs according to best practices, defined budgets and energy savings targets
- Collaborate directly with our clients or their customer and trade ally outreach SOW and program goals. Represent the strength of our solution in proposals, to our clients, and at Utility outreach events
- Assist in researching the markets, accumulating data on businesses, and identifying the customers to be targeted on behalf of the programs
- Work on new mobile and social media models to expand and instantly communicate with our trade ally and customer outreach
- Discuss technical elements of energy consuming equipment —i.e. lighting, HVAC, hot water systems, building & pipe insulation industrial processes.
- Enter data into spreadsheets and databases to determine energy savings and to manage current projects, collaborate with Energy Engineers as required.
- Provide a professional appearance appropriate for a representative.
- Be able to work in a team atmosphere, and willing to collaborate on continuous improvement of operations year after year
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university or equivalent experience. Technical school degree combined with demonstrated experience in the electric/gas utility field will be considered
- Professional energy efficiency designations such as: CEM, BEP or CLEP - Preferred
- Experience in the electric or natural gas utility industry, facilities management, HVAC design or sales, commercial and industrial lighting, or conservation and energy management
- Sales or marketing experience
- 3+ years of experience in energy efficiency and/or energy modeling
- Energy efficiency experience in a number of energy efficiency programs including industrial, large commercial, commercial, small business as well as familiarity with residential and multi-family buildings
- Professional energy efficiency designations such as: CEM, BEP or CLEP preferred
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Must be self-motivated, organized and have an ability to prioritize workload
- Ability to identify and resolve project application issues with customers and trade allies
- Must be flexible to handle a wide work variety and work at a fast pace
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, specifically Word, Excel and Outlook
- Experience using Salesforce or other CRM.
- Strong data entry skills in entering information in tracking systems/databases
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing with customers, clients and employees
- Ability to analyze and interpret data and solve practical problems
- Knowledge of mathematical concepts such as fractions, percentages and ratios
- Reliable transportation
Licenses & Certifications
- Valid driver’s license
- Willingness to travel 50% or more of the time
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Required to sit, stand, walk; talk and hear; and ability to touch and handle tools and/or controls
- Ability to lift up to 40 pounds
- Noise Level is typically moderate
- Employee could be exposed to fumes and/or airborne particles and risk of potential shock
Note: Reasonable accommodations may be made for individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
The above information describes the general duties and requirements necessary to perform the principle functions of the position. This shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the duties and requirements that may be necessary in this position.
An Equal Opportunity Employer