Director Business Development
We provide our utility clients with a wide range of energy-saving and renewable energy solutions. From individual utility customers and construction contractors, to utilities, municipalities, and government bodies, our clients have come to depend on our customized energy efficiency programs to help them to meet their energy saving goals.
The Director of Business Development is responsible for executing the business development strategy to obtain new utility clients and expand services within existing clients. The territory will include those states and utilities that are part of the energy efficiency associations and/or organizations within the specified region.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This list of duties and responsibilities is not all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties and responsibilities, as management may deem necessary from time to time.
- Represent the company to existing and perspective utility clients, energy efficiency organizations, and other firms in our industry (partners and competitors).
- Create strong relationships with utility decision makers and engage them in discussions about their needs and the solutions provided by the company.
- Ensure that our Business Development team is building relationships with potential clients through activity in organizations, trade shows, presentations at conferences, individual capability presentations to utilities, and other outreach to targeted states/utilities.
- Build relationships with industry firms and technology partners for joint bidding opportunities.
- Understand the energy efficiency markets on individual state and utility levels and use this knowledge to identify upcoming opportunities for the company’s products and services.
- Ensure that the company receives all applicable RFPs from utilities in the targeted states.
- Score incoming RFPs and assist in making final decision of whether to bid on program or not.
- Contribute significantly to proposal development – 1) the proposal champion who leads the whole effort, or 2) as a supporter of the champion who contribute the voice of the customer (what does the client want).
- Utilize insight and experience to contribute to company’s business development strategy.
- Achieve annual goals/targets for number of new clients, revenue, and margin of proposal wins.
- Responsible for servicing clients and the relationship management after the “sale”
- Engage and monitor stakeholder meetings and regulatory proceedings in assigned states.
- Serve as company representative in industry associations
- Bachelor’s degree accredited college or university; Advanced degree Preferred
- 8-10 years of energy efficiency industry experience (or equivalent)
- Experience in managing and building high level utility relationships
- Demonstrated experience in sales and business development
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Must be able to handle a wide work variety and work in fast-pace environment
- Must be a detail-oriented, organized, self-starter, and have an ability to prioritize workload
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, specifically Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook as well as Salesforce.com
- Ability to use social media tools such as LinkedIn and Twitter
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing with customers, clients and employees
- Ability to analyze and interpret data and solve practical problems
- Ability to work in team environment, leading and managing cross functional teams
Licenses & Certification
- Valid driver’s license
- Willingness to travel less than 50% of the time
- PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Required to sit, stand, walk; talk and hear; and ability to touch and handle tools and/or controls
- Ability to lift up to 10 pounds
Noise Level is typically moderate
Employee could be exposed to fumes and/or airborne particles and risk of potential shock
Note: Reasonable accommodations may be made for individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
The above information describes the general duties and requirements necessary to perform the principle functions of the position. This shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the duties and requirements that may be necessary in this position.
An Equal Opportunity Employer