Director of Business Development
As a combined organization, Franklin Energy and AM Conservation Group is undertaking what is perhaps the central challenge of our times – to help drive the transition to net-zero carbon economies while ensuring that no working families, businesses, or local communities are left behind. To do that, we are the utility industry’s top provider of turn-key energy efficiency and grid optimization programs and products, all of which contribute to reducing carbon and waste and, at the same time, free-up resources for creating more innovation investment and jobs. With over 26 years in business, we have more than 1,300 experts across the United States and Canada, with warehouses on both coasts. The organization’s integrated in-house services provide deep personalization and insights, helping energy partners achieve their carbon-reduction and energy productivity goals.
We believe the organization’s most “precious resources” are its people. We pledge a relentless pursuit to embody a culture that acknowledges, recognizes, and infinitely seeks to understand the unique differences of its people. We are committed to creating employee experiences that continually attract and embrace a multiracial, multicultural, and multigenerational workforce that promotes outstanding performance and mirrors our diverse partnerships, clients and communities we serve.
We are looking for a dynamic sales professional with a demonstrated track record of success. This commissioned sales position is responsible for executing the business development strategy to obtain new relationships that translate into revenue growth and expand services within existing clients. The territory will include those states and utilities that are part of the energy efficiency associations and/or organizations within the specified region.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
This list of duties and responsibilities is not all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties and responsibilities, as management may deem necessary from time to time.
- Create strong relationships with decision makers who buy demand side management services (could include utilities and government entities) and engage them in discussions about their needs and the solutions provided by the company.
- Understand the energy efficiency markets on individual state and utility levels to identify upcoming opportunities for the company’s products and services.
- Achieve annual goals/targets for number of new clients, revenue, and margin of proposal wins.
- Ensure that our Business Development team is building relationships with potential clients through activity in organizations, trade shows, presentations at conferences, individual capability presentations to utilities, and other outreach to targeted states/utilities.
- Ensure that the company receives all applicable RFPs from utilities and other entities such as government agencies in the targeted states.
- Responsible for servicing clients and the relationship management after the “sale”
- Contribute significantly to proposal development – 1) the proposal champion who leads the whole effort, or 2) as a supporter of the champion who contribute the voice of the customer (what does the client want).
- Represent the company to existing and perspective utility clients, energy efficiency organizations, and other firms in our industry (partners and competitors).
- Build relationships with industry firms and technology partners for joint bidding opportunities.
- Score incoming RFPs and assist in making final decision of whether to bid on program or not.
- Utilize insight and experience to contribute to company’s business development strategy.
- Engage and monitor stakeholder meetings and regulatory proceedings in assigned states.
- Serve as company representative in industry associations.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree accredited college or university; Advanced degree - Preferred
- 8-10 years of energy efficiency industry experience (or equivalent)
- Experience in managing and building high level utility relationships
- Demonstrated experience in sales and business development
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Strong communication and cross-functional collaboration skills
- Must be able to handle a wide work variety and work in a fast-paced environment
- Must be a detail-oriented, organized, self-starter, and have an ability to prioritize workload
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, specifically Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook as well as Salesforce.com
- Ability to use social media tools such as LinkedIn and Twitter
- NetSuite, Salesforce or other ERP/CRM experience preferred
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing with customers, clients and employees
- Ability to analyze and interpret data and solve practical problems
- Ability to work in team environment, leading and managing cross functional teams
- Committed to diversity and inclusion
- Reliable transportation
Licenses & Certifications
- Valid driver’s license
- Willingness to travel up to 50%
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Required to sit, stand, walk; talk and hear; and ability to touch and handle tools and/or controls
- Ability to lift up to 10 pounds
- Noise Level is typically moderate
- Employee could be exposed to fumes and/or airborne particles and risk of potential shock
Note: Reasonable accommodations may be made for individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
The above information describes the general duties and requirements necessary to perform the principle functions of the position. This shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the duties and requirements that may be necessary in this position.
An Equal Opportunity Employer