Lead DevOps Engineer - Automation
As part of the FINEOS DevOps team, the Platform Architect will be primarily responsible for automation Feature design, automation engineering, configuration, optimization, documentation and support of the infrastructure components of FINEOS Cloud (AWS) as well as internal automation support to the FINEOS Product Engineering teams.
You will need to demonstrate significant DevOps engineering experience (including CI/CD design, build automation and release engineering). This will include proven experience in automation design, configuration management, continuous integration and release engineering tools (Docker, Ansible, Gradle, Jenkins, Subversion, GIT, AWS CDK, AWS CI/CD and Cloud Formation) as well as strong knowledge of cloud technologies (AWS).
The Platform Architect will work closely with enterprise architecture, and security teams and will be responsible for design, planning, documenting, implementing, administering and optimizing the automation infrastructure. The Platform Architect will also participate in the planning and implementation of policies and procedures to ensure efficiency and maintenance is consistent with FINEOS standards, industry best practices, and security and regulatory requirements.
Key success criteria for this role will be the ability to align automation as per company standards and security requirements with repeatable, automated processes to provide world class customer service to FINEOS Cloud hosted clients and internal teams.
- Identify Strategic Direction and Strategic Themes related to Cloud Automation for Architectural Runway to support business objectives and strategies.
- Communicate Cloud Automation Architecture Strategic Direction to Enterprise Architecture, platform team, and to the wider organization.
- Set standards for Cloud Automation Tool selection and methodology development.
- Influence Automation solution direction to maintain integrity, security, re-usability and to keep the automation ecosystem up to date and relevant, in line with industry norms and technology strategic direction.
- Create and Champion Enabler Features which support and enable automation objectives, business initiatives, feeding into the Portfolio Backlog.
- Inspect issues in current tooling & automation, version control, and overall security and suggest necessary steps to solve these quickly.
- Set & own the vision for Cloud Automation across all of engineering and cloud operations.
- Influence and agree Program delivery for Epics, particularly Automation Enabler Epics.
- Provide consultation and advice to Enterprise Architecture team on Program Epic viability and costs.
- Perform Feature research (or request resources from Program Manager).
- Maintain Features on Program Kanban for planning.
- Deliver Enabler Feature Description documentation and Estimate (can be supported by other PA and \ or Scrum Team Representative).
- Support Programme Manager in regular Peer Group and ART co-ordination activities: Review of Program Kanban, PI content planning, features allocation to teams, feature progress, etc.
- Provide initial feature estimation to enable Release and pre-PI planning, supported by construction team. Note, long term plan is to move this responsibility towards the construction teams.
- Encourage and provide direction on re-use, patterns, common automation architectural practices and principals, coding principals, etc., working with Agile Development Manager and Scrum teams.
- Ensure Non Functional Requirements (NFRs) are identified and addressed appropriately, working with Scrum team to ensure consistency and coverage.
- Provide ongoing consultation and advice to Scrum team to enable Feature progress and delivery.
- Work with Scrum Team to ensure that NFRs and technical improvements are understood, prioritised and delivered.
- Ensure an adherence to common architecture, tooling and technology across the product lines, and teams working with Agile Development Manager and Scrum teams.
- Exchange with other Architects in the organisation (e.g. through community of practice) and champion innovative ideas in technology.
- Exchange and communicate with the rest of organisation (e.g. through FINTalks, blogs, Innovation Day, etc.) and encourage innovative ideas and practices.
- Proven enterprise AWS experience (Lambda, Control Tower, API Gateway, VPC Networking, EC2, ELB)
- Minimum of 8+ years post qualification experience in a software engineering role with exposure to the full SDLC, preferably on enterprise scale systems
- Infrastructure-as-code experience (CloudFormation, Terraform, Boto).
- Strong background in Continuous Integration, and build automation tools such as but not limited to Ansible, Gradle, Jenkins, Subversion, GIT, Ant, Ivy, and Cloud Formation as well as virtualization and containerization technologies (Docker)
- Excellent interpersonal, teamwork and communication skills (both written and verbal).
- Strong experience in a technically challenging development role
- Multi-platform skills (Linux/Unix/Windows)
- Committed to creating readable, reliable and maintainable code and come up to speed quickly on new technologies
- A relevant third level qualification or equivalent commercial experience
- Fluency in verbal and written English essential
- Proven excellent technical problem-solving capabilities
Desired Skills / Experience:
- AWS Certified DevOps Engineer OR Solution Architect OR SysOps Administrator desired
- Configuration Management experience (Ansible, Chef, Puppet)
- Familiarity & Understanding of Networking concepts like Routing, SNMP, Web Application Firewalls, Load Balancing, and VPN