Senior Software Engineer
FINEOS is a global market leader in core insurance technology for Disability, Life, Accident and Health.
We help our customers care for the people they serve through the delivery of superior insurance technology. Our Mission is to be the 'global market leader of group and individual insurance technology on a single software platform'.
FINEOS people are customer-centric, team players and high achievers. Our environment is built on trust and collaboration, where we challenge positively, innovate and collaborate to deliver great results.
What will you be doing?
As a Senior Java Software Engineer you will join our highly skilled Framework team, working on our FINEOS Digital Platform implementation projects. As part of a project team, working in conjunction with our internal and external customer’s you will develop new Framework features, influence architectural decisions, innovate and propose improvements while also mentoring more junior Java developers.
All of our Software engineers work closely and collaborate with other developers, testers, Business and technical consultants and other cross functional team members, adhering to our standards and processes. Our implementation projects generally follow the principles of Agile methodologies, working primarily as part of either a FINEOS or a Customers implementation scrum team
What do we need?
FINEOS are looking for an experienced Senior Software Engineer who has excellent design and java development programming skills. The successful candidate must have an aptitude for considering the bigger picture, the knowledge to consider all options, the innovation to select the best solution, and the determination to take the solution to completion, while maintaining a focus on delivering quality and value to the customer.
As part of this position we will be looking for excellent communication and estimation skills.
Why work in this team?
The role provides you the opportunity to further develop your Software development skills, while developing technical architecture and leadership skills through working as a part of a team committed to delivering quality software for our internal and customers around the globe. As the successful candidate you will be given significant training on latest software industry practices as well as Java development. You will get exposure to and experience of working with cloud technologies. As part of an expanding company and Agile development organisation there will be significant opportunities to further your career.
- Ability to take on a senior design and development role in on going product development of new features and maintenance for existing customers.
- Must be able to work with minimal supervision, relied upon for critical tasks and accept leadership roles when called upon to do so.
- Participate in the full software development lifecycle; technical analysis and design, development and unit test phases.
- Interacting with internal and external customers of the organisation, to clarify requirements, design and develop solutions.
- Mentoring of less experienced staff where appropriate e.g. development best practices, peer review of designs, code and tests.
- Ability to identify, deliver and drive improvements and innovations within the development area.
- Compile and review estimates around all technical aspects of a solution
- Ensure all aspects of good design and construction are delivered, including:
- Performance, scalability and security
- Modularity, interoperability and upgradability
- Work with peers within the client organization to ensure a successful delivery
- Provide detailed planning and tracking information to Scrum Masters, Development leads and Project management
- Working on both back-end Java programming and front-end web based user interfaces with a strong focus on User Experience.
- Promote and live the FINEOS values and increase positive relations with team, customers, prospects and partners.
- Minimum of 5+ years post qualification experience in a software engineering role with exposure to the full SDLC, preferably on enterprise scale systems
- Excellent interpersonal, teamwork and communication skills (both written and verbal).
- Strong experience in a technically challenging development role
- Strong JAVA development skills including J2EE technologies such as:
- JSP, JSF, JMS, JNDI
- Application servers: JBOSS, Websphere, Weblogic, Tomcat
- Databases: Oracle, SQL Server, DB2
- Development Tools: Apache Ant, Gradle, Jenkins, Maven, Junit, Eclipse, Subversion
- Experience with SQL, and data model design, with exposure to working on different relational databases such as Oracle, DB2 and SQL Server
- Experience with software engineering practices such as Object Oriented programming and application of design patterns.
- Experience in the development of large scale HTML based java applications
- Exposure to deploying applications on Java EE applications servers (JBoss, Websphere, Weblogic or Tomcat)
- Committed to creating readable, reliable and maintainable code and come up to speed quickly on new technologies
- A relevant third level qualification or equivalent commercial experience
- Fluency in verbal and written English essential
- Proven excellent technical problem-solving capabilities
- Experience working within an Agile environment highly desirable.
- Exposure to Continuous Integration, and build automation tools such as Gradle, Jenkins, Nexus would be an advantage
- Exposure to code analysis such as Sonar, PMD/Findbugs would be an advantage
- IT background in the insurance sector would be an advantage
- Multi-platform skills (Linux/Unix/Windows) would be an advantage
- Experience/exposure to AWS or other Cloud technologies desirable
- Experience of working in a vendor environment with appreciation of the customer deliverables an advantage