Institutional Sales Director - Financial Institutions
The Federal Home Loan Bank of Chicago is an $84.4 billion wholesale bank and one of 11 district banks charter in 1932 by the U.S. Congress to improve the availability of funds to support home ownership. The FHLB Chicago is a member-owned cooperative serving members in our district of Illinois and Wisconsin. All federally insured depository institutions, insurance companies engaged in residential housing finance, credit unions, and community development financial institutions located in our district are eligible to apply for membership. Today, the FHLBank System, which is regulated by the Federal Housing Finance Agency, has about 7,000 members.
The Institutional Sales Director will primarily be responsible for client business development and relationship management within the Community Financial Institution segment of the FHLB Chicago’s footprint.
- Markets banking products and services to clients and prospects.
- Services existing client relationships and develops and cultivates relationship with new clients
- Acts as a consultant and trusted advisor to client contacts – negotiating credit arrangements, promoting and selling new solutions, and generating ideas for new business opportunities.
- Promotes FHLB Chicago to existing clients and prospective depository clients through client, trade association and FHLBC events, develops relationships with third party influencers and other marketing efforts.
- Works closely with other FHLBC departments to support and structure credit, collateral and residential mortgage solutions to drive client business.
- Travels to meet with clients directly, to trade association events and other conference/educational events
Required Knowledge & Skills:
- Bachelor’s Degree required; MBA in Finance/CFA strongly desired.
- CFO/Treasurer background from an existing FHLB client would be a plus.
- Knowledge of finance and relevant business segment specific issues, acquired through either an advanced degree or experience in retail, commercial, community, or investment banking, asset management, credit analysis, mortgage banking, business development and/or relationship management.
- Proven high-level relationships with C-suite executives is a must.
- Experience with formulating, crafting and delivering sales presentations.
- Skills in negotiation, leadership and sales are necessary to service the client relationships.
- Knowledge of applicable industry laws and regulations, usually acquired through prior experience or the completion of a formal credit or rotational program is preferred.
- Strong analytical and communication skills required.
- Effective organizational, multi-tasking, and prioritization skills.
- Must be willing to travel up to 40%.
- 7-10 years of financial analysis and client servicing experience, or a combination of formal corporate credit training and 4-7 years of direct retail, commercial or community banking business development and/or account management experience.
- Familiarity with wholesale funding sources, including FHLB Advance
- Experience in mortgage banking background/environment.
- Experience negotiating interest rates, price, terms and collateral requirements.