External Affairs Representative
Join the FHLBC team!
At the Federal Home Loan Bank of Chicago, employees come first. That’s why we offer a highly competitive compensation and bonus package, and access to a comprehensive benefits program designed to meet the needs of our employees.
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Retirement program (401k and Pension)
- Generous PTO plan
- 10 paid holidays per year
- Work from home options
- Casual dress code
The External Affairs Representative assists in handling government relations and industry relations for the Bank.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist in cultivating and maintaining strong relationships with Congressional staffers (particularly with district staff of Illinois and Wisconsin Members of Congress).
- Coordinate, plan and execute in-district Congressional events (roundtable meetings, ground-breakings and ribbon cuttings) with Members of Congress.
- Serve as the FHLBC internal point-of-contact for our Illinois and Wisconsin member trade association partners and other industry partners.
- Represent the Bank at various meetings and events.
- Prepare briefing materials and other presentations for various external audiences.
- Assist in the External Affairs department’s writing, researching and editing workload.
- Organize and maintain department’s reference materials, including key media articles, business statistics and slide presentations.
- Maintain and update database of FHLBC AHP (Affordable Housing Program) projects sorted by Congressional district.
- Assist in the preparation of briefing materials for the FHLBC Public Policy Committee and other presentations to various external audiences.
EXPERIENCE & EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
- Undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university.
- Minimum 2-5 years of government relations and/or industry relations experience.
- Experience involving Congressional staff highly preferred.
- Familiarity with financial services, housing finance and/or community development issues is a plus.
- High level of proficiency with MS Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES & BEHAVIORS REQUIRED
- Excellent verbal and written communication and messaging skills.
- Proven ability to plan and execute events and meetings of varying size and complexity, occasionally on short notice.
- Experience creating clear and compelling presentations, issue briefs and summaries synthesizing and simplifying complex information for audiences of varying sophistication.
- Exacting attention to detail and proofreading skills.
- Pro-active self-starter with the ability to work with intermittent supervision.
- Great interpersonal skills, and the ability to cultivate strong relationships and open lines of communications with legislative staff, trade association partners and internal departments.
- Strong research and organization skills.
- Flexibility to successfully juggle multiple priorities with competing deadlines.
- A polished and professional demeanor to represent the Bank in front of small or large groups.
- Must be a team player, but able to take initiative when needed.
- Occasional travel (approximately 20%) in and out of state (driving and flying) required. Some overnight stays will be required.