Chief Compliance Officer (First Eagle Alternative Credit)
What we do:
First Eagle Alternative Credit (FEAC) is a leading manager of direct lending and tradable credit investment products, with approximately $21 billion of assets under management (as of September 30, 2022). FEAC advises a full range of public and private investment vehicles, including a business development company, interval fund, collateralized loan obligations (CLOs), separately managed accounts and comingled funds. FEAC is the alternative capital platform of First Eagle Investments, an independent, privately owned investment management firm headquartered in New York City with $94 billion of assets under management (as of September 30, 2022). Throughout a heritage that dates to 1864, First Eagle has sought to generate attractive real returns for clients over the long term, a tradition that remains central to our mission today. First Eagle’s range of actively managed equity and equity-oriented, public and private credit, multi-asset and alternative strategies reflect our dedication to disciplined and unconventional thinking, a global perspective and the long-term alignment of interests.
What drives us:
At First Eagle, clients come first, always. To deliver on this commitment, it is incumbent upon us to nurture an environment that both attracts, develops, and retains a talented, inclusive workforce, and inspires each of our employees to do their life’s best work on behalf of our clients. Inherent in this dynamic is a culture that promotes equality, diversity and respect and holds every member of the organization to the highest standards of integrity and accountability.
Who we are looking for:
First Eagle Alternative Credit is seeking a Chief Compliance Officer (CCO) for its Chicago, Boston, or New York location. The successful candidate will have deep knowledge of the credit industry and be responsible for leading the implementation of the compliance program. Reporting to the General Counsel and FEIM CCO, this individual will lead, develop and motivate a small compliance team while providing support to the credit business areas. The current CCO will continue to work within the legal and compliance team, but within a more dedicated legal role, which will create this exciting opportunity for a new hire.
What you will do:
- Lead alternative credit compliance program partnering with legal team and risk on all regulatory developments, requirements, and proposals as applicable
- Partner with the business to ensure effective controls are in place to meet regulatory requirements; provide advice to management on how to comply with the laws and regulations; monitor the business units’ performance with compliance, and alert management to compliance gaps and issues
- Work closely with other members of FEAC’s Legal & Compliance team, as well as the broader FEIM Legal & Compliance, on a variety of matters
- Partner with FEAC’s investment, operations, and finance teams to provide timely, creative, and thoughtful guidance on compliance matters for new and existing products
- Monitor regulatory updates and improve or update the firm’s compliance program when necessary
- Provide leadership, supervision, and training within the compliance department
- Actively identify risks arising from business activities and facilitate their mitigation to acceptable levels
- Implement, draft and update policies and procedures annually, as applicable
- Prepare materials and participate in the presentation to key compliance related committees
- Oversee preparation of regulatory filings
- Drive regulatory and special projects and ad hoc assignments as required
The qualities you should have:
- Undergraduate Degree required; law degree preferred
- 10+ years compliance experience, with a proven track record of effectively managing a successful compliance program and team
- Knowledge of obligations arising under the Investment Advisers Act of 1940, the Investment Company Act of 1940, the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) and other regulations applicable to investment advisers
- Familiarity with the alternative credit asset class
- Experience with registered products and private funds
- Strategic thinker, problem solver
- A collegial and collaborative team player capable of partnering both internally and externally
- Strong organizational skills, ability to multi-task and solution orientated
- Excellent relationship building and communication skills; able to build credibility with senior leaders, providing guidance on all compliance matters and staying abreast of regulatory changes
First Eagle Investment Management, LLC (FEIM) and First Eagle Alternative Credit, LLC (FEAC) is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. Equal employment opportunity has been, and will continue to be, a fundamental principle at FEIM/FEAC, where employment is based upon personal capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religious belief (including dress and grooming practices), sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, breastfeeding or medical conditions related to breastfeeding, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking, genetic information or characteristics (or those of a family member) or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state or local law.