Chief Compliance Officer
What we do:
First Eagle is an independent, privately owned investment management firm headquartered in New York with approximately $121 billion in assets under management (as of June, 30 2022). Throughout a heritage that dates to 1864, the firm has sought to generate attractive real returns for our clients over the long term. This tradition remains central to our mission today, guided by a set of core investment tenets that sustains our culture while also allowing philosophical autonomy among our talented portfolio management teams. First Eagle’s range of actively managed equity and equity-oriented, public and private credit, multi-asset and alternative strategies reflect our dedication to disciplined and unconventional thinking, a global perspective and the long-term alignment of interests.
What drives us:
At First Eagle, clients come first, always. To deliver on this commitment, we nurture an environment that attracts, develops, and retains a talented, inclusive workforce. We also aim to inspire each of our employees to do their life’s best work with us and for our clients. We have built a culture that promotes equity, diversity, and respect, and holds every member of the organization to the highest standards of integrity and accountability.
Who we are looking for:
First Eagle is seeking a Chief Compliance Officer to lead a firmwide compliance program with a preference for the position to be based in its New York office. They will provide oversight of compliance programs and personnel globally and leadership in the formulation, development, implementation, and ongoing management and oversight of a comprehensive, proactive, and risk-aware enterprise compliance program. The successful candidate will: (1) foster a culture of accountability, communication, and collaboration; (2) seek to implement programs in a manner that facilitates and supports the ability of personnel across all locations to comply with applicable regulatory requirements and firm policies; (3) engage with applicable regulators, as and when appropriate, (4) attract, develop, and engage diverse talent; (5) use data and technology to gain valuable insights and take intelligent risks; and (6) execute their responsibilities with discipline, efficiency, agility, and integrity. Reporting to the General Counsel, this individual will manage, develop, and motivate a compliance team comprised of 12 individuals based in our New York and Chicago offices, as well as certain outsourced compliance capabilities in Europe.
What you will do:
- Oversight of compliance of all of the firm’s operations partnering with Legal on all regulatory developments, requirements, and proposals as applicable
- Partner with the business to ensure effective controls are in place to meet regulatory requirements; provide advice to management on how to comply with the laws and regulations; monitor the business units’ performance with compliance; alert management to compliance gaps and issues
- Provide leadership, supervision, and training within the compliance department
- Responsible for compliance monitoring and testing related to 206(4)-7 and 38a-1
- Actively identify risks and facilitate their mitigation to acceptable levels
- Ensure all policies and procedures are updated regularly, as applicable
- Responsible for the oversight of the firmwide training and education programs which includes annual compliance trainings
- Oversee the full range of compliance activities across the firm, including:
- Code of Ethics and Code of Conduct, which includes the Personal Trading System for monitoring employees’ personal securities transactions
- Perform service provider oversight for the adviser and the mutual funds, which consist of sub-adviser, transfer agent, fund custodians and others
- Preparation materials and present to key compliance related committees
- Securing and maintenance of proper licenses
- Preparation of regulatory filings
- Drive regulatory and special projects and ad hoc assignments as required
The qualities you should have:
First Eagle seeks a sophisticated and proactive compliance leader who has worked in large and complex organizations responsible for oversight of an industry leading compliance program. The candidate should have a holistic view of the regulatory landscape, and experience overseeing, developing, and implementing compliance and monitoring programs for a registered investment advisor. The individual may have served in a Chief Compliance Officer or similar corporate oversight roles. The individual must be of unquestioned character and integrity.
The successful candidate will possess all or substantially all of the following attributes:
- Undergraduate degree
- 15+ years of relevant experience in a Compliance and/or Legal role of a registered investment advisor, with a proven track record of effectively managing a successful compliance program and team
- Knowledge of obligations arising under the Investment Advisers Act of 1940, the Investment Company Act of 1940, the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) and other regulations applicable to investment advisers
- Capacity to act as the external face of the organization with regulators
- Ability to create strategy and implement tactically, able to get into detail when necessary combined with tenacious, action-oriented follow through
- Excellent relationship building and communication skills; able to build credibility with senior leaders, providing guidance on all compliance matters and staying abreast of regulatory changes
- Strong professional reputation within industry and regulatory community
- Strategic thinker, problem solver
- Strong organizational skills, ability to multi-task, and solution orientated
- Excellent time management skills with attention to detail
First Eagle requires employees to be fully vaccinated to work in the office unless an exemption is approved as a reasonable accommodation in accordance with applicable law.
First Eagle Investment Management, LLC (FEIM) is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. Equal Employment Opportunity has been, and will continue to be, a fundamental principle at FEIM, where employment is based upon personal capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religious belief, including dress and grooming practices, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, breastfeeding or medical conditions related to breastfeeding, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking, or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state or local law, genetic information or characteristics (or those of a family member), or any other protected characteristic as established by law.