Manager, Strategic Initiatives
Work. Serve. Thrive.
Imagine a place where your talent can make a meaningful difference in peoples' lives. Working at Feeding America is a uniquely rewarding experience in which our employees work together as vital parts of a much larger mission. We are innovative, mission-focused, diverse, collaborative, values-driven and focused on results.We are a national, nonprofit organization and the nation's leading domestic hunger-relief charity. Located in the heart of downtown Chicago, our mission is to feed America's hungry through a nationwide network of member food banks and engage our country in the fight to end hunger.
Accelerates Feeding America’s work to end hunger in America by supporting annual and multiyear planning processes, tracking and reporting on results to facilitate decision-making, and supporting select strategic projects. This role works closely with all Feeding America National Office (FANO) departments and member food banks to develop measurable goals, strategies and plans to advance organizational priorities and outcomes. The ideal candidate for this role is results-oriented and data-driven, with strong facilitation and coaching skills. This role reports to the Managing Director Strategic Planning and is based in Chicago.
Salary Range: $66,000 o $85,000+ Based on Experience
- Supports Managing Director Strategic Planning and VP Budgeting & Reporting in design and execution of Feeding America National Office (FANO) annual and multiyear planning processes, including facilitating working sessions to incorporate input from multiple FANO departments, staff at all levels, and member food banks.
- Works with Executive Team members, Department Leaders, and subject matter experts to develop and strengthen annual and multiyear plans to advance organizational goals; provides expertise and coaching in collaborative strategy development and goal-setting.
- Manages processes to consult member food banks on FANO strategic plans; including identifying and elevating member food bank needs to support plan execution.
- Curates and updates resources for staff and member food banks with details on annual and multiyear FANO plans.
- Analyzes external trends and insights to determine impact to strategy and plans; provides modeling and scenario planning expertise.
- Provides business case expertise and supports evaluating current and potential strategic initiatives.
- Works with Data & Analytics, Research, Finance, Initiative leads to manage system for tracking key metrics/results in dashboards and reports for different audiences; facilitates use of data to drive decisions.
- Owns implementation and refinement of organizational measurement framework (outcomes and outputs) by tracking/maintaining detailed implementation plans for key measures (e.g., baseline data collection status, target-setting status) in collaboration with cross-functional data/measure owners.
- Develops strategic planning communications and reports for board, staff, Executive Team, Senior Leadership groups, and member food banks.
- Serves as a subject matter expert on Feeding America National Office’s strategy, outcomes, and priorities; speaking/facilitating sessions at member food bank learning conferences and staff, partner, donor meetings, as needed.
- Supports cross-functional teams with issue resolution and accelerating priority initiatives and projects, as assigned.
- Travel: Minimal - a few trips annually.
- Mission Focused – Demonstrates a commitment to Feeding America’s mission through word and action. Is committed to keeping people facing hunger at the center of our work and strives to translate this commitment into action on a daily basis. Willing to advocate for people facing hunger and serve as an ambassador for Feeding America inside and outside of work.
- Embraces Equity, Diversity and Inclusion – Demonstrates a personal commitment to valuing different backgrounds and life experiences through word and action. Takes personal actions to build an inclusive culture that ensures everyone can fully contribute based on their unique talents, skills and perspectives and feels welcomed and valued. Commits to driving equitable solutions to address root cause issues by incorporating an equity framework in their daily work. Committed to continuous personal EDI development.
- Translates Strategy to Operations Goals: Translates project goals into SMART team and/or individual goals consistent with overall department strategy. Defines clear project deliverables and monitors and reports against progress.
- Collaborates Internally & Externally: Actively supports collaboration within and between departments and with key stakeholders. Seeks input and resolves issues with a focus on mission and what’s best for the people we serve.
- Communicates Effectively: Effectively communicates project and operating priorities to key stakeholder audiences that may include staff, network food bank members, donors and other audiences. Adjusts message and content based on feedback provided. Communicates clearly and effectively through verbal and written communication across individual, small group and formal presentation settings.
- Drives Change: Leverages data-based observation, interpretation and intervention to engage stakeholders in shaping and implementing solutions. Engages in constructive dialogue to move change forward with empathy and sensitivity for differing views.
- Leverages Functional Expertise: Leverages advanced functional knowledge to shape decisions and plans. Uses professional experience to fix processes and make improvements to practices, policies, and procedures. Tracks latest practices and innovations and ways these could improve processes within the organization.
- Five plus years of experience in strategic planning, program/project management, or other relevant field; consulting experience a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to drive collaboration and aligned action among different stakeholders; experience influencing senior leadership.
- Experience navigating ambiguity and managing multiple projects against critical project timelines in a fast-paced, highly interactive environment.
- Advanced data management, modeling, and analysis skills; ability to synthesize complex concepts / measures into simple dashboards and reports.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects against critical project timelines in a fast-paced, highly interactive environment.
- Strategic thinker with ability to see the big picture and understand the perspective of multiple functions, including how decisions affect the long-term and short-term outcomes of projects.
- Advanced proficiency in MS Office applications and collaboration tools (e.g., PowerPoint, Excel, Sharepoint).
Feeding America embraces a philosophy that recognizes and values diversity. Our goal is to attract, develop, retain, and promote a talented diverse workforce in a culture where all employees will contribute to their fullest potential.