Analyst, Research (Nationwide)
Work. Serve. Thrive.
Imagine a place where your talent can make a meaningful difference in peoples' lives. Working at Feeding America is a uniquely rewarding experience in which our employees work together as vital parts of a much larger mission. We are innovative, mission-focused, diverse, collaborative, values-driven and focused on results.We are a national, nonprofit organization and the nation's leading domestic hunger-relief charity. Located in the heart of downtown Chicago, our mission is to feed America's hungry through a nationwide network of member food banks and engage our country in the fight to end hunger.
To provide research support to the organization through contribution to the development, execution, and management of primary and secondary research and analysis, facilitating the development of organization and policy-based research to support evidence-based programs, legislation, and organization advancement of Feeding America.
Salary Range: $58,000 to $72,000+ Based on Experience
- Takes direction from Manager/Director, Research to implement project tasks, processes and analysis for key research studies and initiatives (e.g., Service Insights, Feeding America Client Survey (FACS), Map the Meal Gap, State of Senior Hunger, program evaluation, and other special population studies), progressing key project components and coordinating with team members, appropriate personnel, and/or consultants in a timely and clear fashion.
- Collaborates with research managers and directors to define project goals, research design and deliverables and to draft and manage project budgets. When appropriate, delineates tasks to team members, appropriate personnel, and/or consultants to support key project activities and deliverables.
- Implements Feeding America's Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion foundation into research and evaluation activities and projects. This may include 1) examining own background and biases continually, 2) committing to dig deeper into data, 3) recognizing the impact the research process itself has on communities and acknowledge our role in ensuring that research benefits communities, 4) engaging communities as partners in research, and 5) guarding against the implied or explicit assumption that white is the default position.
- Supports research functions and initiatives by providing project management functions, including coordination of meetings and communications, progress management, and support activities.
- Provides data management functions including data analytics plan development, data cleaning, and data aggregation. Manages dataset repositories and ensures data integrity and use upon request for data use.
- Develops data analysis protocols and conducts in-depth data analyses with quantitative and/or qualitative methods, as appropriate, and provides analyses of the data findings, from both original research and secondary sources.
- Uses gathered data to create data visualizations, executive summaries, and other deliverables that interpret and disseminate outcomes and key findings from research studies and initiatives.
- Provides support for personalized data analysis provided to the food bank network and partners interested in accessing data to use for programmatic and strategic alignment.
- Conducts literature reviews and provides analysis and summary materials to document findings available internally. Reviews and provides summaries of the literature on key research topics and best practice indicators of success.
- Supports the development of national and local protocols for understanding dimensions of food insecurity and related topics.
- Provides research, communication, and data analysis-related technical assistance to food bank and partner organizations, assisting in understanding the best practices in developing strong data collection and management structures.
Collaborates with research managers and directors to provide technical assistance to other departments and food bank network members on a range of research initiatives and ongoing queries into the literature base.
- Travel: Minimal - a few trips a year.
- Mission Focused – Demonstrates a commitment to Feeding America’s mission through word and action. Is committed to keeping people facing hunger at the center of our work and strives to translate this commitment into action on a daily basis. Willing to advocate for people facing hunger and serve as an ambassador for Feeding America inside and outside of work.
- Embraces Equity, Diversity and Inclusion – Demonstrates a personal commitment to valuing different backgrounds and life experiences through word and action. Takes personal actions to build an inclusive culture that ensures everyone can fully contribute based on their unique talents, skills and perspectives and feels welcomed and valued. Commits to driving equitable solutions to address root cause issues by incorporating an equity framework in their daily work. Committed to continuous personal EDI development.
- Leverages Functional Expertise: Leverages functional knowledge to inform decisions and work plans. Uses experience to fix problems and suggest improvements to processes. Tracks latest practices and innovations in field.
- Manages for Results/Delegates Effectively: Sets clear goals focused on measurable results and embraces accountability for delivering against goals. Maintains high standards and supports peers in achieving and sharing success.
- Collaborates Internally & Externally: Takes open, collaborative, approach within own team and with other colleagues. Seeks input and resolves issues with a focus on mission and what’s best for the people we serve.
- Communicates Effectively: Embraces new ideas and best practices. Looks for efficiencies and improvement opportunities in daily work. Committed to personal learning.
- Three plus years experience in applied research in the social sciences or related fields with statistical analysis, preferred.
- Experience working with partner organizations, communities, and researchers to understand research needs, manage projects, and provide data and research tools to support data collection needs.
- Basic knowledge of statistical concepts and professional working knowledge in statistical software (e.g., R, SPSS, STATA, and/or SAS).
- Experience with quantitative and/or qualitative data collection, survey design, data management, and analysis.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Advanced degree or relevant experience, preferred (e.g., Public Policy, Statistics, Analytics, Public Administration, Social Work or related field).
Feeding America embraces a philosophy that recognizes and values diversity. Our goal is to attract, develop, retain, and promote a talented diverse workforce in a culture where all employees will contribute to their fullest potential.