Director, Communication Strategy
Work. Serve. Thrive.
Imagine a place where your talent can make a meaningful difference in peoples' lives. Working at Feeding America is a uniquely rewarding experience in which our employees work together as vital parts of a much larger mission. We are innovative, mission-focused, diverse, collaborative, values-driven and focused on results.We are a national, nonprofit organization and the nation's leading domestic hunger-relief charity. Located in the heart of downtown Chicago, our mission is to feed America's hungry through a nationwide network of member food banks and engage our country in the fight to end hunger.
Operationalize our strategy on Feeding America’s communication during events of national and significant importance and to advocate for the people we serve. This includes recognizing and elevating communities who are disproportionately impacted by hunger, supporting government policy priorities and advocacy efforts, and identifying and working with key stakeholders to prioritize anti-poverty issues. Coordinate the development and execution of Feeding America’s overarching communications strategy.
Salary Range: $100,000 to $125,000+ Based on Experience
- Support organizational strategic priorities working with key Executive Team stakeholders to proactively identify the key issues related to hunger and poverty where we want to use our brand voice. Ensure we deliver on our commitment to equity and support legislative priorities.
- Define our organizational position on key issues, craft core communication messages, and socialize with key stakeholders.
- Develop an annual Feeding America communications strategy, ensuring alignment within communications and cross-functionally.
- Guide rapid response efforts by leading a cross-departmental team and defining roles and responsibilities of core members, developing a process to incorporate input from subject matter experts, and operationalizing the assessment process to determine if and how Feeding America will use our organizational voice during unexpected events/moments. Develop recommended approach document for CEO approval.
- Co-create an annual calendar of planned events, the organizational approach for each event, key supporting elements, and potential partner organizations. Identify participants in the process and outline clear roles and responsibilities.
- Actively monitor the external environment working closely with the Communications and Digital Marketing teams. Stay abreast of emerging cultural and social issues where Feeding America may want to be visible.
- Create an internal communications plan that shares strategy, decision-making criteria, and process. Publish and maintain annual calendar, including archivally capturing unexpected events. Identify appropriate internal channel strategy. Create a communication loop for staff to provide feedback.
- Develop a library of pre-prepared core messaging elements, including BIPOC community stories from the network of food banks, national data on BIPOC communities, relevant policies and legislative positions, relevant network points of view, and sample community partner organizations.
- Work closely with the GR team to develop policy papers that can be used for planning, internal, and potentially external communication.
- Closely collaborate with Communication, Marketing, Brand, and Advocacy teams to ensure fully integrated external communication and key messaging.
- Travel: Minimal - a few trips annually.
- Mission Focused – Demonstrates a commitment to Feeding America’s mission through word and action. Is committed to keeping people facing hunger at the center of our work and strives to translate this commitment into action on a daily basis. Willing to advocate for people facing hunger and serve as an ambassador for Feeding America inside and outside of work.
- Embraces Equity, Diversity and Inclusion – Demonstrates a personal commitment to valuing different backgrounds and life experiences through word and action. Takes personal actions to build an inclusive culture that ensures everyone can fully contribute based on their unique talents, skills and perspectives and feels welcomed and valued. Commits to driving equitable solutions to address root cause issues by incorporating an equity framework in their daily work. Committed to continuous personal EDI development.
- Translates Strategy to Operational Goals: Translates department strategy into SMART project goals for teams and individuals. Ensures highest and best use of allocated resources. Empowers team members to execute projects. Defines clear project deliverables and monitors and reports against progress.
- Understands Our Business: Understands operation of own department within the broader context of Feeding America’s mission and strategy. Actively develops a knowledge of, and relationships with, key stakeholders external to the department.
- Communicates Effectively: Effectively communicates project and operating priorities to key stakeholder audiences that may include staff, network food bank members, donors and other audiences. Adjusts message and content based on feedback provided. Communicates clearly and effectively through verbal and written communication across individual, small group and large audience settings.
- Collaborates Internally & Externally: Actively supports collaboration within and between departments and with key stakeholders. Collaborates and models positive engagement resolving issues with a focus on mission and what’s best for the people we serve.
- Manages Risk: Understands and adheres to organization processes to ensure prudent risk management. Exercises sound judgment in making operational decisions. Identifies and raises issues that could threaten Feeding America’s reputation and credibility.
- 10 plus years professional experience in communication strategy for a non-profit organization or a business.
- Ability to craft customized messaging for targeted audiences.
- Strong news sense and monitoring of emerging trends and adjacent issues.
- Excellent understanding of social media and digital communication channels.
- Strong ability to prioritize while managing multiple projects and deadlines.
- Personal leadership skills and the ability to work as part of a team; strong project and people management skills with a customer service focus.
- Proficient in MS Office.
Feeding America embraces a philosophy that recognizes and values diversity. Our goal is to attract, develop, retain, and promote a talented diverse workforce in a culture where all employees will contribute to their fullest potential.