Manager, Communication (Writer/Editor)
Work. Serve. Thrive.
Imagine a place where your talent can make a meaningful difference in peoples' lives. Working at Feeding America is a uniquely rewarding experience in which our employees work together as vital parts of a much larger mission. We are innovative, mission-focused, diverse, collaborative, values-driven and focused on results.
We are a national, nonprofit organization and the nation's leading domestic hunger-relief charity. Located in the heart of downtown Chicago, our mission is to feed America's hungry through a nationwide network of member food banks and engage our country in the fight to end hunger.
To develop written content for various platforms using a consistent organizational voice, in order to engage and cultivate key stakeholder audiences and advance Feeding America’s priorities.
- Understand Feeding America’s strategy and working with top leaders, write, edit gather assets and information, and present it in formats that are best suited to engage audiences
- Able to clearly articulate and incorporate Feeding America’s brand “voice” in all drafted internal and external-facing communications, including key messages and talking points for presentations, website editorial copy, scripts, toolkit materials, essays, etc.
- Create, manage and implement communication plan deliverables to promote Feeding America initiatives and activities.
- Coordinate with network members’ local communication contacts for content development leads.
- With the Chief Equity and Program Officer, develop a content plan for podcast series, including pre-production research, interview briefs, post-production edits and final transcription delivery.
- Serve as a communication liaison for various organizational projects, coordinating efforts with other MarCom department functions, including digital, media relations, entertainment industry outreach, as well as network members.
- Contribute to the creation of organizational reporting materials, such as the annual report, donor stewardship reports, master case, and customizable donor communication assets.
- Draft timely updates and breaking-news notifications, including during disaster response, relevant to Feeding America’s actions for various audiences, as warranted.
- Serve as content editor for MarCom department on special projects or for cross-functional review committees. Edits research reports, project reports and presentation decks for consistency and style.
- Provide proactive team progress updates and status reports for cross-functional work.
- Work with outside consultants and designers to ensure Feeding America editorial and visual brand standard compliance.
- Mission Focused – Demonstrates a commitment to Feeding America’s mission through word and action. Is committed to keeping people facing hunger at the center of our work and strives to translate this commitment into action on a daily basis. Willing to advocate for people facing hunger and serve as an ambassador for Feeding America inside and outside of work.
- Embraces Equity, Diversity and Inclusion – Demonstrates a personal commitment to valuing different backgrounds and life experiences through word and action. Takes personal actions to build an inclusive culture that ensures everyone can fully contribute based on their unique talents, skills and perspectives and feels welcomed and valued. Commits to driving equitable solutions to address root cause issues by incorporating an equity framework in their daily work. Committed to continuous personal EDI development.
- Communicates Effectively: Effectively communicates project and operating priorities to key stakeholder audiences that may include staff, network food bank members, donors and other audiences. Adjusts message and content based on feedback provided. Communicates clearly and effectively through verbal and written communication across individual, small group and formal presentation settings.
- Leverages Functional Expertise: Leverages advanced functional knowledge to shape decisions and plans. Uses professional experience to fix processes and make improvements to practices, policies, and procedures. Tracks latest practices and innovations and ways these could improve processes within the organization.
- Collaborates Internally & Externally: Actively supports collaboration within and between departments and with key stakeholders. Seeks input and resolves issues with a focus on mission and what’s best for the people we serve.
- Manages for Results/Delegates Effectively: Sets clear goals focused on measurable results and holds self and others accountable for delivering against agreed upon goals. Maintains high standards for self and others and provides supportive coaching and direct feedback.
- Understands Our Business: Understands operation of own team within the broader context of department strategy and priorities. Actively develops a knowledge of, and relationships with, key stakeholders external to the department.
- Five plus years of professional communications experience; nonprofit or PR agency experience is a plus.
- Superb editing and proofing skills; excellent oral & written communication skills, specifically for interacting with donor communities, national office staff, network members, and senior management.
- Desire to work in a creative environment.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines.
- Personal leadership skills and the ability to work as part of a team; strong project management skills and a customer service focus.
- Proficient in MS Office.
- Understanding of social media platforms.
Feeding America embraces a philosophy that recognizes and values diversity. Our goal is to attract, develop, retain, and promote a talented diverse workforce in a culture where all employees will contribute to their fullest potential.