Project Manager, Strategic PMO (Chicago/Hybrid)
Work. Serve. Thrive.
Imagine a place where your talent can make a meaningful difference in peoples' lives. Working at Feeding America is a uniquely rewarding experience in which our employees work together as vital parts of a much larger mission. We are innovative, mission-focused, diverse, collaborative, values-driven and focused on results.Feeding America is the nation’s second largest charity and the leading domestic hunger-relief charity in the United States. Our mission is to feed America's hungry through a nationwide network of member food banks and engage our country in the fight to end hunger. Learn more about Feeding America here.
This position is based out of Feeding America’s new office location in the heart of downtown Chicago. At Feeding America, we believe in offering a flexible work environment. Employees can be in the office an average of 2-3 days a week (when not travelling for work) and work from home on other days. Employees also have access to a 30-day “work anywhere” program during the course of each calendar year that can be combined with PTO and/or holidays.The Opportunity
The Project Manager, Strategic PMO supports the development and implementation of best-in-class portfolio and project management capabilities across the Feeding America National Office (FANO) to support execution of FANO’s strategic plan toward ending hunger in the US. The Project Manager will work to support the “Feeding America way” of project management by supporting adoption of key processes and tools and providing training and coaching to FANO staff. The Project Manager will also support the build out of and management / administration of systems (e.g., Smartsheet) to track the status of the organization’s work portfolio. The ideal candidate for this role has project management, systems implementation, process design, and training expertise with prior experience working with project portfolio management systems. This role reports to the Sr. Director, Portfolio and Project Management and would ideally be based in Chicago.
Salary: $68,000 - $85,000+ Based on Experience
- Manages/administers Smartsheet project portfolio management system and users to support monitoring of strategic plan execution and develops tools/processes to provide timely visibility into overall portfolio and project status
- Identifies areas for process improvement by capturing a backlog of enhancements across FANO stakeholders and supports Sr. Director, Portfolio and Project Management and other appropriate leaders in prioritizing needs
- Implements enhancements in Smartsheet by working with FANO departments/users/stakeholders and partners to identify requirements and develop/implement solutions
- Manages productive relationships with external vendors/partners and FANO users to support ongoing Smartsheet enhancements and management
- Develops and executes training/communication plans to support teams in understanding and using Smartsheet, including developing content (e.g., trainings, job aids) and delivering training to onboard users
- Provides project management support / coaching to Project Leads / Managers across the organization to promote collaboration, issue resolution, and consistency and rigor in processes
- Reviews Project Execution Plan (PEP) submissions, provides feedback to teams, and tracks the execution status of projects in the portfolio to identify project management support needs and/or elevate potential risks
- Develops and maintains the Project Management Playbook with tools, templates, and trainings to support teams in managing projects and supports adoption/consistency of the playbook across FANO staff
- Supports Sr. Director, Portfolio & Project Management in facilitating productive and engaging working sessions with a cross-functional “Project Management Champion Team” to co-create and drive adoption of project management tools and deliverables across departments
- Supports the Sr. Director, Portfolio & Project Management in the design and execution of Feeding America National Office (FANO) organizational processes that support strategic plan execution, progress tracking, and other priority enterprise initiatives
- Gathers data and develops reports to support the Sr. Director, Portfolio & Project Management with project portfolio insights for key stakeholders (e.g., Executive Team, Board of Directors, Network Members) or key meetings (e.g., Quarterly Progress Reviews, FANO Roundtables)
- 5+ years of experience in technical project/program management or other relevant field; consulting experience or project management certifications (e.g., PMP) a plus
- Advanced project management experience, including coaching others on best practices and the ability to prioritize/manage multiple projects against critical timelines in a fast-paced, interactive environment; experience with PMO processes and tools (e.g., portfolio analytics, business cases) a plus
- Demonstrated technology system implementation/system administration experience including advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and collaboration tools (e.g., PowerPoint, Excel, SharePoint); experience with Smartsheet and/or other project portfolio management (PPM) tools a plus
- Strong analytical and data management skills with experience developing reports (e.g., project status)
- Demonstrated experience in training and communications to support organizational change including developing training content, delivering training to ramp up new users, and facilitating productive working sessions/meetings
- Strong process design and problem-solving abilities including prior experiencing designing and documenting current and future state process flows
- Strategic thinker with ability to see the big picture and understand the perspective of multiple functions, including how decisions affect the long-term and short-term outcomes of projects
- Mission Focused: Demonstrates a commitment to Feeding America’s mission through work and action. Is committed to people keep people facing hunger at the center of our work and strives to translate this commitment into action on a daily basis. Willing to advocate for people facing hunger and serve as an ambassador for Feeding America inside and outside of work.
- Embraces Equity, Diversity and Inclusion: Demonstrates a personal commitment to valuing different background and life experiences through word and action. Takes personal actions to build an inclusive culture that ensures everyone can fully contribute based on their unique talents, skills and perspectives and feels welcomed and valued. Commits to driving equitable solutions to address root cause issues by incorporating an equity framework in their daily work. Committed to continuous personal EDI development.
- Leverages Functional Expertise: Uses advanced functional knowledge to shape decisions and plans. Takes initiative to stay current and apply knowledge of own field, including to improve processes, practices, and policies. Regularly offers to share functional expertise with others to help them succeed.
- Collaborates Internally and Externally: Forms and sustains effective working relationships that accelerate goal achievement by reaching out to and engaging people from other functions or from outside the organization. Coordinates projects and plans with others within and outside of own area to ensure the work goes smoothly. Pursues networking opportunities and encourages others to form new relationships that benefit all parties. Handles conflict directly and adeptly, respecting all points of view, and resolves issues to create a united path forward.
- Translates Strategy to Operational Goals: Constructs project plans aligned with organization and department strategies and priorities. Makes data- and fact-based decisions aligned with department and organizational strategy. Translates project goals into SMART team and/or individual goals consistent with overall department strategy.
- Communicates Effectively: Conveys clear and effective messages using verbal and written communication within individual, small group, and formal presentation settings. Communicates project/operating priorities and updates to key stakeholder audiences that may include staff, network food bank members, donors, and other groups. Responds positively to requests to share information while maintaining confidentiality of sensitive content. Adjusts message and content based on feedback provided.
- Continuously Improves: Develops solutions that incorporate new ideas and best practices from other departments or outside the organization. Leverages continuous improvement tools and mindset when designing and implementing projects and processes. Shares and applies learning from both successful and unsuccessful ideas to inspire creative thinking.