Lead Data Scientist
We have rapidly grown into a truly global company since our launch in 2008 and we’re continuing to grow. Our family now includes partner boutiques and brands across Europe, North and South America and Asia; we demonstrate our ‘Think Global’ value in everything we do.
We are a global team of over 1,500 people and have offices based in London, New York, L.A., Porto, Guimarães, Lisbon, Sao Paulo, Shanghai, Moscow, Hong Kong & Tokyo.
We are a company with an entrepreneurial spirit and innovative culture. We are positive, passionate and live our values: Be Human, Be Brilliant, Todos Juntos, Be Revolutionary, Think Global and Amaze Customers day to day.
Our world class Product team is responsible for our customer’s journey through our platforms. Focusing on UX & Digital Design, the teams are split across our offices in London, Porto and Lisbon. Working across Front Office, Back Office and Mobile they help to create the iconic ‘Farfetch’ look and feel. They’re true ambassadors of our business and ensure we're at the forefront of the latest technology while demonstrating our ‘Be Revolutionary’ value.
Farfetch is building the next-generation intelligent platform for online luxury fashion, powered by large scale data and state of the art Information Retrieval Systems with Machine Learning and Deep Learning algorithms. You will join a talented team of Data Scientists, Engineers and Product designers to help build and optimize, through research and experimentation, our data driven products.
As a Lead Data Scientist you will be:
- Applying advanced Machine Learning (ML) and Learning to Rank techniques to drive business decisions;
- A Team leader for mentoring new joiners and help team to meet deadlines and deliverables;
- Capable to work hand-in-hand with engineering in multidisciplinary teams;
- Knowledge of Information Retrieval in scalable Artificial Intelligence processes;
- Making sense of complex unstructured data;
- Researching and developing with senior team members novel approaches for the business;
- Helping the business define Data Science strategy and working on new ways to make the most of data span.
What you will do:
- Work closely with engineering team to integrate ML algorithms into the platform;
- Working closely with product owners in devising and assisting the product;
- Design and develop state of the art Learning to Rank algorithms;
- Help in the design of new features in the product, and drive innovation inside the company through the use of disruptive technologies;
- Helping finding new talent for building the next-generation of Farfetch data scientists.
Who you are:
- MSc or PhD in related topics such as Machine Learning, Information Retrieval, Signal Processing, Speech Processing or Optimization;
- We encourage applications also with background from the fields in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Physics, Biomedical Engineering, Statistics, Applied Mathematics;
- Knowledge in the following subjects: Learning to Rank (e.g., RankNet, ListNet), Information Retrieval and algorithm performance metrics (e.g., NDCG);
- A proven track record building and delivering ML products;
- Fluent in Python and common numerical and Math & ML packages (NumPy, SciPy, scikit-learn, pandas, Keras, TensorFlow, PyTorch). R candidates are also encouraged to apply;
- Experience dealing with large amounts of data and building data pipelines;
- Knowledge of big data technologies is a plus (Hadoop, Spark, Hive);
- Non-relational databases (e.g., cassandra) and streaming platforms know-how (e.g., kafka) is a plus;
- Strong English skills, both written and spoken;
- Scientific and technical publications are possible and encouraged; Applicant should be interested to keep up to date with scientific advancements.
We love hearing from you and want you to be as ambitious as we are, but before applying please ask yourself the following…
- Is this role a good match for me and my long term goals? We want to really know why you have chosen this career.
- Do I have all the skills and experience required for this role? Be realistic. We will only consider applications that demonstrate relevant skills or the potential to match the role requirements.
- Spell Check. As simple as it sounds make sure your application is to the highest standard. You will be surprised at how many applications we receive with spelling mistakes on them.
We are committed to equality of opportunity for all staff, applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.