Product Design Lead - Consumer
Product Designers at Farfetch are responsible for creating engaging, beautiful products and services which help our customers express their love of fashion. We work hard to understand user needs and champion them throughout the product development process. We’re part of a global team with centres in London, Lisbon, Porto, and Shanghai working in multi-disciplinary squads across a suite of products including web, mobile and instore.
We are looking for someone to join the cross-functional leadership team for our Acquisition and Engagement group. As part of that team is able to inspire and lead cross-functional teams (including designers, engineers and product managers). Your role in the team is to provide context and clarity for the teams, helping them to learn and act more decisively in creating better customer impact. This is an opportunity to join a global product design team who are changing the luxury fashion industry, defining what luxury means in a digital world.
We are looking for an experienced design leader who is able to use evidence and knowledge of user behaviour and needs to help shape and develop the experience strategy for the Acquisition and Engagement stage of Farfetch’s customers. You will work with this area’s leadership (product management, engineering, architecture, research and you) to ensure that teams within your area are clear about their objectives and missions, and that they have the clarity of purpose to move quickly and autonomously.
This role is responsible for the quality and coherency of the overall experience within the Acquisition and Engagement area, and how effectively the work of its teams meets the needs of Farfetch’s visitors and customers. You will work closely with peer teams who cover other stages in the customer journey to make sure that the end-to-end experience our customers have is coherent and considered. You will work closely with marketing teams to ensure that the execution of our campaigns and our strategy for engagement experience are effective and excellent.
This role needs a designer who is able to work collaboratively across teams, providing the connective tissue which enables autonomous teams to work confidently and safely. You’ll specialise in web or mobile but have deep working experience of both, with a portfolio of examples which demonstrate your experience with end-to-end product design. If you’re able to demonstrate experience of working with large systems or platforms, particularly with a service design approach we are particularly keen to work with you.
You will directly line-manage designers who work within the Farfetch design function: we want to make sure management is designed to meet the needs of everyone involved, so these designers won’t necessarily be part of your area or located in the same office as you.
As a line manager you are responsible for the personal and professional development of designers in your managing line. You’ll look after the people you manage and enrich the wider Consumer Product team’s capabilities, culture and social activities.
What You’ll Do
- You’ll be the lead designer for one of Farfetch’s experience areas, working alongside the product management and engineering leadership for that area.
- You’ll help the area leadership to set and define strategy for that area based on the learning and explanations created by the mission teams.
- You will work with the mission teams to understand and roadmap their learning and research agenda for the period ahead.
- You will be responsible for the quality and coherency of your area’s execution across the channels and touchpoints they deliver to.
- You will ensure that local knowledge and improvements are considered and evaluated in terms of their contribution to wider global design systems and our organisation knowledge
- You’ll collaborate with the other area leads within Farfetch, making sure that the customer journeys across and along channels are coherent, effective and consistent with our brand.
- You will lead by example, willing to dive in to teams to support and help them where needed. You understand when to be hands-on, and when you need to mentor.
- You will support the teams in your area with guidance, direction and through clear strategy.
- You will support the channel leadership teams by bringing deep knowledge of the needs and goals of customers’ interactions within your area to shape channel strategies and collaborating with your area leadership team to contextualise them into your area.
- You have extensive experience working within product teams, either as a designer or a product owner.
- You have experience working on product development in partnership with marketing and/or growth teams
- You will have excellent listening, verbal and written communication skills and can demonstrate strong ability to negotiate and build trust in others, particularly with stakeholding teams.
- You have the ability to demonstrate the process and outcome of the evidence-based approach that you’ve employed on previous projects
- You have excellent collaboration skills, as well as being able to constructively direct action within teams.
- We don’t expect a formal degree, but your depth and domain of knowledge is equivalent to that of a BA/BSc/MA in HCI, Information Systems, Computer Science, Graphic Design or similar.
- You have working knowledge of developing and working with full-stack design systems.
- You have experience working on high traffic consumer products a plus
- You have experience working within a platform business, E-commerce or online retail.
- You are able and willing to travel to other Farfetch offices when required
- You understand how to select and develop appropriate methods for prototyping and when to apply them as tools to remove risk.