Product Design Practice Lead
As a Practice Lead in the Consumer Products team, you'll be responsible for shaping and continually improving the design methods, tools, and practices that make up our design discipline. You will focus on a specific design practice (experience design, product design for web or product design for native) and work alongside other practice leads.
You will be focussed on supporting the learning and development of Farfetch designers all over the globe, and in doing so you contribute to the performance and happiness of our product teams. You will be seen as the go-to expert in your field of design because of your deep and extensive expertise and ability to communicate and develop others by doing.
You will need to be a leader: helping to raise those around you up and become better practitioners through support, mentorship, and direction. You will help the people around you to grow and to do great things. You’ll be responsible for recruiting within your practice, onboarding new joiners and helping them establish themselves.
You’ll encourage positive and effective relationships with all the people in the teams with which designers in your practice work (product owners, developers, researchers, testers, engineers and others). You’ll create a highly collaborative and learning-driven environment to increase speed-to-knowledge and creates effective product outcomes.
You will directly line-manage designers who work within the Farfetch design function: we want to make sure management is designed to meet the needs of all everyone, so these designers won’t necessarily be part of your practice or located in the same office as you.
As a line manager, you are responsible for their personal and professional development of designers in your managing line. You’ll look after the people you manage and enrich the wider Consumer Product team’s capabilities, culture, and social activities.
What you’ll do:
- You will start with user needs - whether those users are Farfetch’s customers or your colleagues.
- Manage and lead designers within your practice field, ensuring they’re happy, engaged and able to grow and flourish.
- You will have Various line management responsibilities such as regular 1:1s, annual performance reviews, mentoring, status reporting to Consumer Product Design Practice Manager
- Work with other Practice Leads and the Practice Manager to define the design methods, tools, and practices that are shared by Farfetch designers around the world.
- You will lead others by showing what good looks like, your skills, behaviour and communication style will be the model for your team.
- You will be responsible for the creation and publication of shared tools and practices through wikis, internal and external webpages and playbooks
- Continually improve our working practices by being intentional about appropriate methods and reflective of their impact.
- You will seek to collaborate with other practices that work alongside yours, such as agile coaching, product management, research, testing, and others.
- Be evidence-led, and ask for feedback from the teams to find opportunities to link improved practice with immediate needs.
- Help ensure that the designers in their teams feel empowered and able to influence and shape products in a human-centred way.
- Create an environment of creativity and opportunity.
Who you are:
- Able to demonstrate experience leading and line-managing teams of high-performing designers.
- Experienced in systematically improving working practices through sharing and collaboration.
- Driven by the opportunity to help people grow and learn as design practitioners, and understand the importance of team health.
- Able to demonstrate an evidence-based approach to product design and in particular helping your team establish this as a working style.
- Highly collaborative
- We don’t expect a formal degree, but your depth and domain of knowledge are equivalent to that of a BA/BSc/MA in HCI, Information Systems, Computer Science, Graphic Design or similar.
- Experienced in working within a platform business, E-commerce or online retail.
- Excellent listener and communicator (both written and verbally).
- Able and willing to travel to other Farfetch offices when required