Product Designer - Consumer Mobile
We are looking for an experienced designer with deep knowledge of working as a product designer within a multidisciplinary team (primarily design, engineering and product management). As a product designer you are expected to have solid knowledge of design methods and practices that will help your team understand and make sense of their customers’ needs and behaviours. You will have strong technical knowledge of web or native UI and interaction design to ensure that the experience our customers have when using our products is appropriate, effective and coherent.
You are able to communicate the importance and value of shared, collaborative design systems and have demonstrable experience in contributing to as well as working with them. You are able to demonstrate influence and credibility amongst your team, and the wider organisation
You’ll specialise in web or mobile but have strong working experience of both, with a portfolio of examples which demonstrate your ability to fully understand a problem, identify value creating opportunities and to clearly communicate your team's intent.
What you’ll do
Help to build your product’s roadmap
- You’ll be working collaboratively with your team (product owners, engineers, researchers and others) in defining the problem space and desired customers outcomes. You will support the execution and development of strategy in your area based on the learning and explanations created by the teams.
- You’ll support the planning and execution of workshops to help align intent and understanding of business and customer goals, distilling and sharing this with other teams.
- You’ll help to define hierarchy of user needs for the design project (use cases, heuristics), making sure that when customers interact with your product the experience is coherent, effective and consistent with our brand.
- You’ll have a strong understanding of your area’s technology and use these to ensure product decisions are made within those constraints
- Discovery sprints - identifying opportunities to create value for our customers, and defining the problem space to remove risk
- You’ll be able to help the team discover potential design routes by going broad and wide, creating provocations and prototypes to help the team build better products and features for our customers
Detailed interaction and product design
- Helping the team understand solutions by working them through on paper or as visualisations.
- Using your knowledge and expertise of interaction design in very detailed microinteractions and also at task and flow level
- Contribute that the work from the team is consistent with the whole customer experience and designed with the customers’ high-level goals and needs.
- You are able to support the team’s work with minimal oversight or support, from your team leadership.
Work as part of a team
- You’ll have strong experience of working in partnership with engineering teams and ensuring any design specifications are clear and well-understood by your team.
- You understand that design specifications are not the finished product that our customers use, so you constantly work with your team to improve and finesse the product through release and beyond
- Working with engineering and product owners to bring your understanding of how customers interact and behave with products to ensure that they share your confidence in a solution
- You’ll support the definition of tags / trackers to eng for analytic data with support of your team.
Who you are
- You have solid experience working within product teams, either as a designer or a product owner.
- You have the ability to demonstrate the process and outcome of the evidence-based approach that you’ve employed on previous projects
- You have varied experience designing products for web or native platforms.
- You have excellent collaboration skills, as well as being able to constructively direct action within teams.
- We don’t expect a formal degree, but your depth and domain of knowledge is equivalent to that of a BA/BSc/MA in HCI, Information Systems, Computer Science, Graphic Design or similar.
- You have working knowledge of developing and working with full-stack design systems.
- You have experience working on high traffic consumer products a plus
- You have experience working within a platform business, Ecommerce or online retail.
- You will have excellent listening, verbal and written communication skills.
- You are able and willing to travel to other Farfetch offices when required
- You understand how to select and develop appropriate methods for prototyping and when to apply them as tools to remove risk.
- You have working knowledge of iOS and Android UI