We are currently building out a brand new function within the Commercial team, which will focus on instilling more operational and strategic rigour across the business. In the role as Commercial Analyst, you will report into the Senior Commercial Strategy Manager to support on ad-hoc analyses and strategic work required for both specific strategic projects and the day-to-day business to instil that rigour and excellence.
You will be responsible for supporting on devising and implementing more systematic processes within strategic commercial projects, some of which will be discrete and others stream. A great example of something we would like to achieve in the near term is a complete overhaul of the way we look at brands, shifting towards a strategic, common approach toward brand cohorting, and ultimately, implement a new and improved brand approval process. A large part of this role will be to support on the creation of the brand cohorts and revamping of the brand approval process, and once live, support on the implementation, manage the brand approval tool, and facilitate the brand approval process.
Furthermore, you would support on additional ad hoc analyses, especially those with a product slant, in order to inform strategic decision-making and driving more analytical rigour within the team. We are looking for a commercially minded strategic thinker with a strong blend of art and science skills - understanding of the fashion landscape and sense of product as well as a penchant for numbers and ability to discern actionable insights based on data. This person should have a mix of left-brain, right-brain in order to marry the analytics (“the science”) with the qualitative (“the art”) to inform strategic decision-making.
What you will do:
- Own and manage the new brand management process including:
- New brand submissions – first assessment of brand submissions using the brand assessment scorecard
- Track all brand-related decisions made, keeping a record of research conducted
- Distribute a newsletter to the commercial team monthly presenting newly approved brands with clearly stated rationale
- Internal materials prepared and distributed to the Sounding Board when their consultation on decision is required
- Liaise with key stakeholders regarding specific brand approvals
- Upon request from account managers, strategically unblock previously blocked brands based on scorecard assessment
- Brand name changing and merging – When a brand name changes or is duplicated, update in the system and ensure stakeholders are alerted to ensure they can make the necessary changes on their side
- Maintaining the full database of brands in the system ensuring all naming conventions and capitalisation is correct
- Be the first point of contact in the business for queries regarding new brands, blocked brands, discrepancies or naming conventions and troubleshooting or making executive decisions accordingly
- Input and support on the definition of brand cohorts, and historical mapping and analysis
- Input on critical projects like building the long term supply strategy – categories, channels, partners, assortment, etc – drawing upon brand cohort approach where possible
- Conduct research and analysis to inform actionable business strategies and recommendations
- Support on building out analyses to devise product-related strategic initiatives
- Support the team with any ad hoc administrative tasks
Who you are:
- Developed understanding of broader fashion landscape, luxury industry, brands, and trends
- Strong analytical, strategic and problem-solving skills
- Advanced Excel, PowerPoint, and Looker skills
- High attention to detail and commitment to excellence
- Flexible and collaborative with the ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Commercially-minded strategic thinker with an emphasis on operational excellence
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Some work experience in a strategic, analytical or research-based role
- Curiosity and proactive- can take control of complex problems, and is committed to finding a solution
- Bias for action – speed matters, and many actions are reversible, so we encourage a focus on continuous improvement
- Fantastic team fit - tenacity with a smile, real pride in the quality of work and an understanding that the ‘how’ you work is just as important!