*Principal UX Research, Customer Experience (Toronto)
There has never been a better time to join Extreme, after three acquisitions extending our portfolio and go to market strategy, we have seen enormous opportunity and growth within the regions. Aside from being a Technology Leader in the Gartner Magic Quadrant, we also adamantly promote an internal culture that truly embraces diversity, inclusion and equality in the workplace. Having Diversity and Inclusion as part of our core values and beliefs, we’re proud to foster an environment where every Extreme employee can thrive because of their differences, not despite them.
Principal UX Research, Customer Experience
Extreme Networks helps customers transform and enhance their businesses with our cloud-based technology - making it even easier for customers to grow as they go, both in a technical and commercial sense. Our products offer flexible, feature-rich, application tiers tailored to every business, budget, and IT needs, that delivers the management, intelligence and assurance our customers require. Extreme Networks creates and end-to-end effortless networking experience. Within Customer Experience our mission is to create data-driven beautiful and differentiated experiences. We are looking to flip networking on its head and build something the world would never expect from a networking company.
As Principal UX Research you will report into Extreme’s Head of Design. Your hands-on, multi-method abilities will help define and drive the future of Extreme design. This would/should include leading foundational studies, conducting interviews with key customers, using statistics to analyze data, and traditional design research like usability and participatory design. Leveraging this data, you and your team will push Extreme’s current boundaries of what is possible, identify and influence product strategy, while helping teams understand complex UX ecosystems via data visualization. You will build the future vision of Extreme UX, and have the courage to uphold that vision via research.
In this role, you’ll build empathy and understanding of what users need, while closely collaborating with designers, engineering, product management and various other cross functional teams. We are looking for someone who wants to think outside of the box and finds energy in developing creative solutions to complex problems.
- Be a thought leader on how to use research and data to inform the product experience.
- Foster and grow User Research and a data driven product design culture.
- Handle the design, administration, and execution of research studies.
- Manage stakeholders dynamically that includes guiding stakeholder discussions with the appropriate user research methods to achieve business and design goals.
- Partner with Design team members, including managers on research execution and/or design workshops.
- Identify new research opportunities.
- Propose, plan, execute, and deliver user research at various stages of the product development lifecycle to drive decisions.
- Create deliverables in the form of engaging reports, journey maps, or other materials as needed by the project team.
- Share research insights with cross-functional partners to create a smarter, more informed, and more user-focused team
- Unafraid of creating new systems and processes as needed.
- This is a very hands-on role, and includes managing participant recruitment, data collection (includes moderating sessions), data synthesis and analysis, and delivery of findings and recommendations.
- Distill project goals and research questions into well thought-out research plans
- Method determination – ability to identify the best method or mix of methods based on research questions, timeline and resourcing
- Evaluative research – assessing our existing product ecosystem with an eye for incremental improvements and refinements
- Generative research – assessing gaps in our customer journey that would benefit the customer and how they engage with our offerings
- Collaboration on interdisciplinary teams – strong cross-functional communication skills and comfortable working with design, product and technology in order to actualize the recommended changes
- Communication through documentation – Perform quick (but thorough) data analysis and translate into clear, beautiful and insightful presentations of research findings
- Leading workshops and stakeholder meetings – ability to listen and incorporate feedback from colleagues in a workshop environment
- 8+ years’ experience doing qualitative and quantitative user research on products and/or UX research.
- Extensive experience planning and executing different types of research and testing activities
- Degree in the field of HCI, Human Factors, Design, Anthropologie or a related field / relevant work experience (advanced degree a plus)
- Strong sense of independence, ownership, and initiative with an ability to self-direct and manage what to work on, how to get it done, and when to deliver
- Excellent organization skills and the ability to manage multiple high-profile projects in a dynamic organization.
- A strong track record of building respect for User Research and impacting product decisions with high quality data and insights
- A curiosity for technology, big data and the future of cloud development
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills. Strong analytical and presentation skills.
- Strong understanding of the strengths and shortcomings of different research methods, including when and how to apply them during each product phase.
- Effective interpersonal, communication, negotiation and collaboration skills.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience
- End-to-end experience with all aspects of research (study design, recruiting, moderation, analysis, reporting)
- Experience with usability testing and evaluative research (both qualitative and quantitative) as well as generative research methodologies, including expertise in digital product development
- Experience building and iterating prototypes and concepts
- Facilitation for decision making and prioritization
- Experience quickly prototyping interactive solutions for testing
- Conversant in complex & emerging technologies
- Understanding of agile design and development practices
- UX-centered systems thinking for complex organizations
- Excellent communication, presentation, interpersonal and analytical skills; the ability to communicate complex concepts clearly and persuasively across different audiences and varying levels of the organization
- The ability to manage ambiguity, work autonomously, and multi-task in an agile environment
- A portfolio that exhibits successful past product design and development
- Sense of humor is a must.
Extreme Networks, Inc. (EXTR) creates effortless networking experiences that enable all of us to advance. We push the boundaries of technology leveraging the powers of machine learning, artificial intelligence, analytics, and automation. Over 50,000 customers globally trust our end-to-end, cloud-driven networking solutions and rely on our top-rated services and support to accelerate their digital transformation efforts and deliver progress like never before. For more information, visit Extreme's website or follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, and Facebook.
We encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply. Come Advance with us! In keeping with our values, no employee or applicant will face discrimination/harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status. Above and beyond discrimination/harassment based on “protected categories,” Extreme Networks also strives to prevent other, subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (e.g., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our organization. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at Extreme Networks.