Substitute School Nurse (Daily/Weekly)
Excel Academy was founded in 2003 with the mission to provide a high-quality education to students in East Boston and Chelsea Massachusetts, communities that are predominantly low-income and Latinx and historically have faced significant social and educational barriers. Our success in Massachusetts is proof that the opportunity gap can be closed and we opened a new school in Rhode Island in 2022. At Excel Academy Charter Schools, we believe that when a student has the support and tools to pursue a productive post-secondary pathway aligned to their personal identity and values, it can fundamentally change their life trajectory.
At Excel Academy we learn from our students, families, and staff and make improvements. We have increasingly adapted to provide a holistic education that values our community as collaborators in the learning process, social-emotional support, equity for diverse learners, and fosters identity development. We prioritize an approach that is both rigorous and inclusive. Our team of passionate, intelligent, driven, and loving staff are at the core of the work we do.
Duties & Responsibilities
Excel Academy is seeking Substitute School Nurses to cover/manage the school’s health program in our full time nurses' absence. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Maintain a comprehensive school health program consistent with the Massachusetts guidelines, regulations and statutes governing nursing and school health, and Excel Academy’s policies;
- Using the nursing process, collaborate with the parent/guardian and student, where appropriate, to develop/implement and/or maintain individualized health care plan for the student;
- Assist students and families to achieve optimal levels of wellness through health education and promotion;
- Apply appropriate nursing theory as the basis for decision-making in the school setting while expanding knowledge and skills in response to the student health needs and participating in research; and
- Serve as a productive member of the Excel community.
- Must hold a BSN or RN with a Bachelor’s degree in a related discipline;
- Minimum of 1 year experience in public health nursing, community health nursing, school health nursing, or pediatric nursing;
- An ability to speak Spanish preferred, but not necessary;
- A commitment to addressing inequity in education;
- An unwavering commitment to and belief in the mission of Excel Academy Charter Schools, including Excel’s values and educational model;
- The ability to focus and thrive in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment;
- The ability to work effectively in a team environment and the wiliness and desire to support others in doing their best work; and
- An entrepreneurial spirit that reflects an openness to change, a willingness to problem-solve, and an interest in developing new ideas and programs.
Excel Academy Charter Schools is committed to its work as an anti-racist organization. One critical element of that commitment is building and empowering a diverse staff that reflects the community that we serve. We strongly encourage applications from candidates whose experiences share important points of intersection with those of our students. Staff who demonstrate fluency in Spanish, Portuguese or Arabic (languages spoken widely by our diverse community of families) will receive additional compensation, as will staff who are alumni of our schools.
Excel Academy Charter Schools do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, creed, sex, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, ancestry, athletic performance, special need, proficiency in the English language or a foreign language or prior academic achievement.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received and candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.