Instructional Leadership Fellow
Excel Academy was founded in 2003 with the mission to provide a high-quality education to students in East Boston and Chelsea Massachusetts, communities that are predominantly low-income and Latinx and historically have faced significant social and educational barriers. Our success in Massachusetts is proof that the opportunity gap can be closed. At Excel Academy Charter Schools, we believe that when a student has the support and tools to pursue a productive post-secondary pathway aligned to their personal identity and values, it can fundamentally change their life trajectory.
At Excel Academy we learn from our students, families, and staff and make improvements. We have increasingly adapted to provide a holistic education that values our community as collaborators in the learning process, social-emotional support, equity for diverse learners, and fosters identity development. We prioritize an approach that is both rigorous and inclusive. Our team of passionate, intelligent, driven, and loving staff are at the core of the work we do.
Duties and Responsibilities
Excel Academy Charter Schools is seeking a strong Leadership Fellow who will work as a member of the Administrative Team, responsible for implementing and overseeing our rigorous and inclusive academic or culture programming. This role is designed for experienced teachers who are looking to make the transition into culture or instructional leadership as an administrator. This residency is designed to be a one year role with the possibility of a successful Leader in Residence being promoted to a long-term leadership role within the network.
Specific responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Advance schoolwide priorities and support teachers in a flexible and responsive way, including through coverage, crisis response, adjusting in key moments of the year, and before- and after-school duties
- Manage teachers in alignment with our commitment to anti-racism and anti-bias; this includes both proactive and reactive measures to explicitly support positive and equitable outcomes for traditionally marginalized populations, including and especially BIPOC, LGBTQ+, disabled, and immigrant teachers and students
- Manage 4-6 teachers, paraprofessionals, teaching fellows, and/or other staff members, including being responsible for their support, development, and evaluation
- Observations and meetings
- Weekly lesson plan feedback
- Review of data
- Completing preliminary (for new) and mid-year evaluations
- Serve as a member of the Administrative Team, responsible for tracking data and organizing schoolwide teacher support programs such as professional development
- Support with extended staff leaves, as needed
- Serve as interim manager, as needed
- Support with administering academic programming such as: summer school, MCAS exams, Admin-on-duty field trips
- Support with administering staff-facing programming such as: New Staff Orientation, Summit, All-staff meetings, PD days
Do whatever it takes to ensure the mission of the school is upheld
- A minimum of 2 years teaching experience, with demonstrated academic results and positive student culture
- A commitment to and belief in all students and the mission of Excel Academy Charter Schools, including Excel’s values and educational model;
- A commitment to addressing racial and economic inequity in education;
- The ability to focus and thrive in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment;
- Exceptional attention to detail and follow-through on task completion;
- A high level of discretion and the ability to manage sensitive information confidentially;
- The ability to work effectively in a team environment and the willingness and desire to support others in doing their best work; and
- An openness to change, a willingness to problem-solve, and an interest in receiving feedback for continuous improvement.
Preference will be given to applicants who also:
- Have experience in a public or charter school setting;
- Can speak to the importance of diversity, equity and inclusion
- Speak Spanish, Portuguese or Arabic fluently;
- Can speak to the importance of rigorous classroom instruction and culture.
Excel Academy Charter Schools is committed to its work as an anti-racist organization. One critical element of that commitment is building and empowering a diverse staff that reflects the community that we serve. We strongly encourage applications from candidates whose experiences share important points of intersection with those of our students. Staff who demonstrate fluency in Spanish, Portuguese or Arabic (languages spoken widely by our diverse community of families) will receive additional compensation, as will staff who are alumni of our schools.
Excel Academy Charter Schools do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, creed, sex, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, ancestry, athletic performance, special need, proficiency in the English language or a foreign language or prior academic achievement.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received and candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.