High School Biology Teacher 2023-2024
Excel Academy was founded in 2003 with the mission to provide a high-quality, free, and public education to students in East Boston and Chelsea Massachusetts, communities that are predominantly low-income and Latinx and historically have faced significant social and educational barriers. Our success in Massachusetts is proof that the opportunity gap can be closed and we opened a new school in Rhode Island in 2022. At Excel Academy Charter Schools, we believe that when a student has the support and tools to pursue a productive post-secondary pathway aligned to their personal identity and values, it can fundamentally change their life trajectory.
At Excel Academy we learn from our students, families, and staff and make improvements. We have increasingly adapted to provide a holistic education that values our community as collaborators in the learning process, social-emotional support, equity for diverse learners, and fosters identity development. We prioritize an approach that is both rigorous and inclusive. Our team of passionate, intelligent, driven, and loving staff are at the core of the work we do.
About the Role
Excel teachers are responsible for delivering effective, high-quality, rigorous college-preparatory instruction designed to foster the success of their students. Teachers who thrive at Excel tend to be entrepreneurial instructors and hungry learners who crave frequent, high-quality feedback on their practice. They also have a great deal of passion and expertise in their content area that they are eager to share with students.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities
This position will perform a variety of essential responsibilities, including (but not limited to):
- Teach several sections of high school students;
- Collaborate with department members to develop and refine Excel’s curriculum;
- Design and implement rigorous assessments that evaluate student mastery of academic standards;
- Create a safe learning environment for all students by implementing Excel’s classroom management strategies and best practices with consistency;
- Provide coverage as needed during non-instructional time;
- Serve as a productive member of the Excel Academy community; and
- Do whatever it takes to ensure the mission of the school is upheld
- A Bachelor’s degree is required; a Master’s degree preferred;
- A minimum of two years’ teaching experience in an urban public school or charter school setting preferred, but not required;
- Preference will be given to applicants who share points of intersection with our students, such as speaking Spanish, Portuguese, or Arabic at an advanced level, being first generation college graduates, or having grown up low-income;
- A commitment to and belief in all students and the mission of Excel Academy Charter Schools, including Excel’s values and educational model;
- A commitment to addressing racial and economic inequity in education;
- The ability to focus and thrive in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment;
- The ability to work effectively in a team environment and the willingness and desire to support others in doing their best work; and
- An openness to change, a willingness to problem-solve, and an interest in receiving feedback for continuous improvement.
Excel Academy Charter Schools is committed to its work as an anti-racist organization. One critical element of that commitment is building and empowering a diverse staff that reflects the community that we serve. We strongly encourage applications from candidates whose experiences share important points of intersection with those of our students. Staff who demonstrate fluency in Spanish, Portuguese or Arabic (languages spoken widely by our diverse community of families) will receive additional compensation, as will staff who are alumni of our schools.
Excel Academy Charter Schools do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, creed, sex, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, ancestry, athletic performance, special need, proficiency in the English language or a foreign language or prior academic achievement.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received and candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.