Building Substitute Teacher
-If you join by 5/1/2023, you will be eligible for a $2,000 end of year bonus-
Excel Academy was founded in 2003 with the mission to provide a high-quality education to students in East Boston and Chelsea Massachusetts, communities that are predominantly low-income and Latinx and historically have faced significant social and educational barriers. Our success in Massachusetts is proof that the opportunity gap can be closed and we opened a new school in Rhode Island in 2022. At Excel Academy Charter Schools, we believe that when a student has the support and tools to pursue a productive post-secondary pathway aligned to their personal identity and values, it can fundamentally change their life trajectory.
At Excel Academy we learn from our students, families, and staff and make improvements. We have increasingly adapted to provide a holistic education that values our community as collaborators in the learning process, social-emotional support, equity for diverse learners, and fosters identity development. We prioritize an approach that is both rigorous and inclusive. Our team of passionate, intelligent, driven, and loving staff are at the core of the work we do.
About the Role
Building Substitutes gain a great deal of exposure to fundamental areas of teaching, including curriculum development and classroom management. They are eager to learn and actively seek out feedback in order to build their instructional skills. Like all Excel teachers, they are responsible for delivering effective, high-quality, rigorous, and affirming college-preparatory instruction designed to foster the success of their students.
Duties and Responsibilities
This position will perform a variety of essential responsibilities, including (but not limited to):
- Provide coverage during instructional and non-instructional time;
- Provide operational support as needed;
- Serve as an advisor to a cohort of students;
- Serve as a productive member of the Excel Academy community; and
- Do whatever it takes to ensure the mission of the school is upheld.
- A commitment to and belief in all students and the mission of Excel Academy Charter Schools, including Excel’s values and educational model;
- Rhode Island Substitute Teacher Certification or in pursuit of Certification;
- The ability to work effectively in a team environment and the willingness and desire to support others in doing their best work;
- An openness to change, a willingness to problem-solve, and an interest in receiving feedback for continuous improvement; and
- And can speak to their personal investment and commitment to antiracist education and diversity, equity, and inclusion in our school community and beyond.
Preference will be given to applicants who also:
- Have experience in a public or charter school setting;
- Speak Spanish, Portuguese or Arabic fluently; and
- Share Points of Intersection with the life experiences of the diverse and mostly lower-income families that our schools serve.
Excel Academy Charter Schools is committed to its work as an anti-racist organization. One critical element of that commitment is building and empowering a diverse staff that reflects the community that we serve. We strongly encourage applications from candidates whose experiences share important points of intersection with those of our students. Staff who demonstrate fluency in Spanish, Portuguese or Arabic (languages spoken widely by our diverse community of families) will receive additional compensation, as will staff who are alumni of our schools.
Excel Academy Charter Schools do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, creed, sex, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, ancestry, athletic performance, special need, proficiency in the English language or a foreign language or prior academic achievement.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received and candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.