Excel Academy was founded in 2003 with the mission to provide a high-quality, free, and public education to students in East Boston and Chelsea Massachusetts, communities that are predominantly low-income and Latinx and historically have faced significant social and educational barriers. Our success in Massachusetts is proof that the opportunity gap can be closed and we opened a new school in Rhode Island in 2022. At Excel Academy Charter Schools, we believe that when a student has the support and tools to pursue a productive post-secondary pathway aligned to their personal identity and values, it can fundamentally change their life trajectory.
At Excel Academy we learn from our students, families, and staff and make improvements. We have increasingly adapted to provide a holistic education that values our community as collaborators in the learning process, social-emotional support, equity for diverse learners, and fosters identity development. We prioritize an approach that is both rigorous and inclusive. Our team of passionate, intelligent, driven, and loving staff are at the core of the work we do.
Growth Happens Here.
About the Role
Excel Academy Charter High School is seeking a full-time School Nurse who is responsible for supporting the development, implementation, and management of the school’s health program. General responsibilities include program management, nursing services, collaboration, health education, and professional practice. You would work on a team with our founding School Nurse, who has worked with Excel Academy since its founding in 2003.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Establish and manage a comprehensive school health program consistent with the Massachusetts guidelines, regulations and statutes governing nursing and school health, and Excel Academy’s policies;
- Collaborate with other professionals, team members and community providers in assessing, planning, implementing, and evaluating programs and other school health activities;
- Using the nursing process, collaborate with the parent/guardian and student, where appropriate, to develop and implement an individualized health care plan for the student;
- Assist students and families to achieve optimal levels of wellness through health education and promotion;
- Apply appropriate nursing theory as the basis for decision-making in the school setting while expanding knowledge and skills in response to the student health needs and participating in research; and
- Serve as a productive member of the Excel community.
Dependent on campus, position may also include:
- Assist with mechanical lifts/transfers for toileting support of students as needed
- Provide care for children at Excel Academy daycare in case of an emergency
Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Understand how your identity markers (including race, class, and gender) impact your role;
- Demonstrate understanding and respect for the cultures and languages of our communities;
- Solicit and welcome collaboration and feedback from colleagues, students, families and the surrounding community;
- Understand the impact of historical and structural racism and use this lens in your decision-making; and
- Take action to demonstrate personal reflections and growth/be responsive to feedback and lessons learned.
- Valid license to practice as a Registered Nurse in Massachusetts
- A bachelor's or master's degree in nursing.
- Minimum of 1 year experience in public health nursing, community health nursing, school health nursing, or pediatric nursing;
- Preference will be given to applicants who share points of intersection with our students, such as speaking Spanish, Portuguese, or Arabic at an advanced level, being first generation college graduates, or having grown up low-income;
- A commitment to and belief in all students and the mission of Excel Academy Charter Schools, including Excel’s values and educational model;
- A commitment to addressing racial and economic inequity in education;
- The ability to focus and thrive in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment;
- The ability to work effectively in a team environment and the willingness and desire to support others in doing their best work; and
- An openness to change, a willingness to problem-solve, and an interest in receiving feedback for continuous improvement.
Excel Academy Charter Schools is committed to its work as an anti-racist organization. One critical element of that commitment is building and empowering a diverse staff that reflects the community that we serve. We strongly encourage applications from candidates whose experiences share important points of intersection with those of our students. Staff who demonstrate fluency in Spanish, Portuguese or Arabic (languages spoken widely by our diverse community of families) will receive additional compensation, as will staff who are alumni of our schools.
Excel Academy Charter Schools do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, creed, sex, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, ancestry, athletic performance, special need, proficiency in the English language or a foreign language or prior academic achievement.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received and candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.