Nursing at EvergreenHealth
EvergreenHealth nurses are dedicated to excellence. Nothing matters more to us than ensuring each and every patient at EvergreenHealth receives the best clinical outcomes, absolute safety and exceptional service resulting in exceptional care.
We strive to provide the most advanced technologies, the safest environments and the most compassionate personal attention.
At EvergreenHealth we enjoy caring for patients and families using a highly collaborative interdisciplinary team approach.
We have a vibrant new graduate nurse program and career advancement for all nurses through our New to Specialty preceptorships.
EvergreenHealth nurses who go above and beyond in providing compassionate, expert care for our patients are recognized with The DAISY Award.
Philosophy of Nursing
EvergreenHealth Nurses developed our Professional Practice Model through a Philosophy of Nursing based on Jean Watson’s Humanistic Caring Theory and Patient and Family Centered Care. We embrace our values holding patients and families at the center of our care.EvergreenHealth Nursing Professional Practice Model
EvergreenHealth offers a variety of orientation programs and tuition assistance to support the professional development of its nursing staff.
EvergreenHealth provides orientation programs for nurses with all levels of preparation:
- Experienced nursing hires all receive a basic orientation.
- Experienced nurses coming to work in a new field would receive the basic orientation plus classes and mentoring in the new field.
- Experienced nurses coming to acute hospital care from a skilled nursing or an office/clinic setting would receive the basic orientation, with an extended mentoring program where the new hire is paired with a seasoned nurse. During the program, the new nurse is trained, attends classes and learns by example on the unit.
- The Nursing Students Program allows students to work as nursing technicians, functioning to the level of their training. This allows students to grow in function and experience as they move forward through school.
- The RN Residency Program is designed to assist the new or refresher RN in the transition from a novice practitioner to an independent, professional patient care provider.
- Monthly free in-service and continuing education programs are offered on current topics.
Tuition Reimbursement Program
EvergreenHealth's Tuition Reimbursement Program provides assistance to those employees who are pursuing degrees and certificates that are relevant to their continued employment in any position at EvergreenHealth and who are selected for the program by the selection committee.
To be eligible for the Tuition Reimbursement Program, employees must have been continuously employed with EvergreenHealth for six (6) months as a 0.5 FTE (full-time equivalent) or greater and must have completed all prerequisites for the program for which they are applying for funding.
The amount of the benefit offered will depend on the employee's FTE status, and will be pro-rated up to a maximum of $5,250 per year.
The Tuition Reimbursement Program has been extremely popular and has helped employees receive degrees in nursing, radiology, healthcare administration, finance and accounting fields, and many other areas.
Nurse Residency Program
RN Residency Program Dates
|October 18, 2021|
|February 7th 2022|
|May 16th 2022|
|August 8th 2022|
|October 17th 2022|
A Message to Nursing Graduates
Senior Vice President and Chief Nursing Officer Mary Shepler invites you to apply to the EvergreenHealth RN Residency program.
Congratulations on becoming a nurse – you made it! That is a great accomplishment and you should be very proud. I am honored to work alongside the incredible team of compassionate and caring nurses here at EvergreenHealth. It’s their commitment, dedication and passion that helps us successfully fulfill our mission of family-centered care. As you embark on your nursing career, we invite you to learn more about nursing at EvergreenHealth and consider the many opportunities we offer to learn, build, grow and innovate.
To help you on your journey, we offer a supportive and engaging Nurse Residency Program designed to help talented new nursing graduates transition from novice to expert nurse. Our program offers a combination of evidenced-based didactic and hands-on education, peer support and seasoned nurse mentorship. We support and engage our nursing staff with training and educational opportunities, state-of-the-art-facilities and equipment, shared governance and comprehensive benefits. Our goal is to partner with you to help you grow in your patient care skills while also building your critical thinking, problem-solving, communication and leadership skills.
Our Nurse Residency Program fits with the national recommendations from the Institute of Medicine (IOM) report The Future of Nursing: Leading Change, Advancing Health (October, 2010). We are pleased that our program allows us to hire graduate nurses throughout the year as needs arise, so we encourage you to visit our Career Center regularly. We invite you to learn more about EvergreenHealth by scrolling through this website. Our entire nursing staff wishes you all the best as you embark on what we know will be a rewarding career in nursing.
- Any licensed registered nurse or future ADN or BSN graduate from an accredited school of nursing who has immediate plans to complete NCLEX testing is eligible to apply for the program.
- Graduates of an RN refresher course may also apply for the Residency program.
- Candidates must have a current Washington State RN license by the start date of the program.
- The candidates must be willing to commit to a one-year full-time schedule. Shift assignment will be determined by the department needs.
EvergreenHealth is committed to providing the highest quality of care to our patients, and literature shows that having a Bachelor’s of Science in Nursing (BSN) contributes significantly to the quality of care. Toward that end, this position requires a BSN or a commitment to begin a BSN program within three years and obtain a BSN within five years of employment.
Residency positions are typically in the following areas:
- Cardiovascular & Neurosurgical Care Unit
- Emergency Department
- Family Maternity Center / Labor and Delivery
- Hospice Home Care
- Ortho, Spine, Neuro
- Progressive Care Unit
Open Nurse Residency Positions
Each RN Resident position will list a closing date for applications.
Complete the application in full. Please use the cover letter section to include a one-page description of the personal and professional attributes you bring to this program.
Meet Our Nurse Recruiter
If you are a Registered Nurse interested in practicing at EvergreenHealth, or would like more information about employment opportunities, please contact:
WA State Licensing Information
Many of our positions require current state licensure by start date. The link below provides access to information about licensing requirements in Washington State.