Patient Services Rep - Float Pool Primary Care (40 hrs/wk)
*** Sign on bonus up to $3,000.00 for a new employee of EvergreenHealth***
$19.59 hr. - $28.41 hr. DOE + $2.00 hr float pool premium
This position will work in the Float Pool Primary Care Clinics as needed. Traveling required and must have a valid WA State Driver's License and proof of car insurance. Minimum one year experience in a customer service role and strong customer service skills required. Multi-line phone and electronic scheduling experience desired..
Serves as the first point-of-contact for patients in a fast-paced clinical environment and utilizes exceptional customer service skills to coordinate care and provide an excellent patient experience. Responsibilities include pre-registration/scheduling, registration/check in, message and queue management, medical records request management, referral management, and billing/payment processing/charge reconciliation.
- Coordinates all aspects of patient scheduling to include creating initial and follow up in-person or virtual visit appointments; rescheduling, cancelling and managing self-scheduled appointments in a fashion that meets patient care needs and optimizes provider schedules.
- Manages multi-line telephone system (incoming and outgoing). Follows guidelines to identify and direct patients calling with emergent/urgent symptoms to appropriate clinical staff for screening.
- Sets up and verifies active and contracted insurance coverage in multiple systems and/or educates patients on co-insurance/co-pay, self-pay, L&I, MVA, Medicaid, Medicare/Medicare Advantage, etc.
- Enrolls patient on patient portal and explains its attributes, benefits and recommended use.
- Requests, confirms and validates interpreter services.
- Greets patients and completes check-in process. Directs and assists patients with completion of appropriate paperwork.
- Monitors various group Message Pools and responds to patient requests, questions and concerns within established organizational timelines.
- Takes complete and accurate messages and coordinate communication between appropriate interdisciplinary staff. Coordinates emergent or add-on patient care requests with clinical team and provider.
- Manages appointment queues (Ex. future appointment orders; cancellation list; wait list).
- Prepares, documents and sends various patient outreach communications.
- Initiates outside medical record requests by requesting materials from admissions and emergency departments, physicians and other authorized hospital staff to support provider visits and closure of care gaps for Health Maintenance. Prepares and scans documents for Health Information Management department processing.
- Manages incoming referrals through clinic documentation and established tracking protocol. Facilitates communication between the clinic, patient and insurance company, as required.
- Identifies and collects copayments in adherence with organizational goals.
- Cultivates EvergreenHealth culture of community by supporting new staff training.
- Monitors and maintains tidy patient waiting and staff work areas in accordance with infection control standards and safety protocols.
- Orders and restocks patient forms and non-medical supplies.
- Files, faxes, scans, photocopies and distributes mail.
- Performs open and close duties, which vary from clinic to clinic.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED for the position:
- High School diploma or equivalent
- 1 year of experience in a customer service role
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, including the capacity to communicate with a diverse range of individuals and dispositions.
- Ability to problem solve, stay calm under pressure and present oneself in a pleasant and professional manner when responding to inquiries from EH staff and patients (Ex. service recovery).
- Strong written communication skills, including ability to spell accurately and write legibly.
- Ability to work independently, show initiative and work productively within a team environment.
- Actively listen to and validate patient conversations. Employ de-escalating techniques as appropriate.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and ability to access, analyze and apply concepts associated with protocols, policy and guidelines.
- Keyboarding skills and working knowledge of Windows based software systems.
DESIRED for the position:
- Previous experience in a medical reception or similar administrative role
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology/common medications
- Knowledge and experience accessing/verifying insurance coverage. Experience using Real Time Eligibility (RTE) Payer/Insurance Portals.
- Electronic Medical Record (EMR) experience, preferably Cerner.
- Familiarity with HIPAA and other health industry compliance standards
EvergreenHealth offers a rich benefit package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life and Disability Benefits, Employer Match Retirement Plan, Employee Discounts and Commuter Benefits including Transit Pass for Commuters.