Cook II (36 hrs/wk)
Posted wage ranges represent the entire range from minimum to maximum. For jobs with more than one level, the posted range reflects the minimum of the lowest level and the maximum of the highest level. Some positions also offer additional premiums based on shift, certifications or degrees. Job offers are determined based on a candidate's years of relevant experience, level of education and internal equity.
One free meal per shift!
On the job training also available.
Responsible for preparing food products (i.e., main entrees, soups and sauces) in a commercial kitchen setting utilizing advanced cooking techniques, standardized recipes and plating guidelines. Involves meeting production schedules in accordance with health, safety and sanitary standards, guidelines and regulatory requirements. Accountable for the quality of food items prepared, ensuring proper utilization and storage of food and supplies, and for maintaining the orderliness and cleanliness of equipment, supplies and work space.
- Preparation, cooking, carving, and portioning out meats, entrees, vegetables, starches, soups, and sauces.
- Maintains all hot and cold prepared food at proper temperatures.
- Plans cooking schedule according to menu and department volume needs.
- Selects and displays recipe cards.
- Reviews production sheet to determine type and amount of food to be prepared.
- Procures food items from refrigerator, freezer, or storage areas.
- Requisitions, or directs the procurement of, supplies as needed.
- Labels, dates, and stores foods in keeping with department standards.
- Follows department and government safety and sanitation standards.
- Operates, safely and accurately, a variety of commercial food service equipment including: knives, slicer, thermometers, measuring utensils, scales, toaster, food warmer, chopper, mixer, blender, steamer, grill, fryer, steam kettle, broiler, electric oven, microwave oven, convection oven.
- Ability to utilize, operate and cook on or with open flame, gas equipment, broilers, flat tops, combi ovens, woks and wood stone ovens and electric range.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
License, Certification, Education or Experience:
REQUIRED for the position:
- High School graduate or equivalent combination of education and experience
- A valid Washington State “Food and Beverage Workers” Permit
- ServSafe or Certified Professional Food Manager (NEHA-National Environmental Health Association) certification or ability to obtain within 180 days of hire date
- 4 years of progressively responsible related work experience in the fast-food, restaurant, hospitality or other culinary environment, or any combination of education and experience that would demonstrate the capability to meet the requirements
- Requires experience preparing starches, vegetables, soups, sauces, and gravies in a food services setting, and experience using and maintaining a variety of cooking equipment.
- Ability to understand and apply business math as required by the duties.
- Ability to communicate clearly.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service.
DESIRED for the position:
- Vocational training courses in commercial food preparation setting or equivalent combination of work experience.
Choices that care for you and your family
At EvergreenHealth, we appreciate our employees’ commitment and contribution to our success. We are proud to offer a suite of quality benefits and resources that are comprehensive, flexible, and competitive to help our staff and their loved ones maintain and improve health and financial well-being.
- Medical, vision and dental insurance
- On-demand virtual health care
- Health Savings Account
- Flexible Spending Account
- Life and disability insurance
- Retirement plans (457(b) and 401(a) with employer contribution)
- Tuition assistance for undergraduate and graduate degrees
- Federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness program
- Paid Time Off/Vacation
- Extended Illness Bank/Sick Leave
- Paid holidays
- Voluntary hospital indemnity insurance
- Voluntary identity theft protection
- Voluntary legal insurance
- Pay in lieu of benefits premium program
- Free parking
- Commuter benefits
View a summary of our total rewards available to you as an EvergreenHealth team member by clicking on the link below.
2023 Benefits Guide
This position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement between EvergreenHealth and the Service Employees International Union (SEIU) Healthcare 1199NW. Union membership is optional.
short order cook, prep cook, restaurant, food service, room service, fine dining, pantry, deli, sandwich