Cook I (per diem)
***Up to $2,000.00 sign on bonus of a new employee of EvergreenHealth***
One free meal per shift in the Cafeteria!
Responsible for preparing food products (i.e. main entrees, soups and sauces) in an kitchen setting utilizing basic cooking techniques, standardized recipes and plating guidelines. Involves meeting production schedules in accordance with health, safety and sanitary standards, guidelines and regulatory requirements. Accountable for the quality of food items prepared, ensuring proper utilization and storage of food and supplies, and for maintaining the orderliness and cleanliness of equipment, supplies and work space.
1. Assists in the preparation, cooking, carving, and portioning out meats, entrees, vegetables, starches, soups, and sauces.
2. Maintains all hot and cold prepared food at proper temperatures.
3. Assists in planning cooking schedule according to menu and department volume needs.
4. Reviews production sheet to determine type and amount of food to be prepared.
5. Procures food items from refrigerator, freezer, or storage areas.
6. Requisitions, or directs the procurement of, supplies as needed.
7. Labels, dates, and stores foods in keeping with department standards.
8. Follows department and government safety and sanitation standards.
9. Operates, safely and accurately, a variety of commercial food service equipment including: knives, slicer, thermometers, measuring utensils, scales, toaster, food warmer, chopper, mixer, blender, steamer, grill, fryer, steam kettle, broiler, electric oven, microwave oven, convection oven and electric range.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED for the position:
• High School graduate or equivalent combination of education and experience
• A valid Washington State “Food and Beverage Workers” Permit
• ServSafe or Certified Professional Food Manager (NEHA-National Environmental Health Association) certification or ability to obtain within 180 days of hire date
• 1 years of progressively responsible related work experience in the fast-food, restaurant, hospitality or other culinary environment, or any combination of education and experience that would demonstrate the capability to meet the requirements
• Requires experience preparing starches, vegetables, soups, sauces, and gravies in a food services setting, and experience using and maintaining a variety of cooking equipment.
• Ability to understand and apply business math as required by the duties.
• Ability to communicate clearly.
• Ability to provide excellent customer service.
DESIRED for the position:
• Vocational training courses in institutional (large quantity) food preparation preferred or combination of work experience
This position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement between EvergreenHealth and the Service Employees International Union (SEIU) Healthcare 1199NW. Union membership is optional.