Cook's Helper (40 hrs/wk)
***Up to $2,000.00 sign on bonus of a new employee of EvergreenHealth***
One free meal per shift!
Performs various functions within the food services departments, including but not limited to: cleaning cafeteria tables, making coffee/espresso for cafeteria, catering and deli service, packaging and dishing food items and cashiering.
Prepares and sets up food, supplies and nourishment for patient, catering and retail services in accordance with recognized safety, sanitation and food-handling standards and procedures.
1. Operates point of sale (POS) cash register system to record all transactions in keeping with EvergreenHealth’s cash handling policies and procedures.
2. Maintains all hot and cold foods at proper temperature.
3. Serves food in accordance with recognized safety, sanitation and food-handling standards and procedures.
4. Prepares, portions, and packages food and supplies according to standardized recipes. Prepares quick service items including but not limited to; burgers, fish and chips, pizza and hot/cold items.
5. Maintains clean and organized dining tables and seating area.
6. Maintains a clean, well-stocked retail sales area.
7. Adheres to organizational patient safety standards relevant to the department or assigned nursing unit.
8. Operates, safely and accurately, a variety of commercial food service equipment, including knives, slicer, thermometers, measuring utensils, scales, toaster, food warmer, mixer, blender, grill, fryer, broiler, and microwave oven.
9. Set up caterings as needed according to Catering standards.
10. Timely delivery/pick-up of all caterings.
11. Must be able to correctly understand event contracts from the Cater Tax system.
12. Operates POS cash register system to record all transactions in keeping with EHMC cash handling policies and procedures.
13. Follows department and government safety and sanitation standards.
14. Follows procedures for procuring food items from refrigerators, freezers, and storage areas.
15. Labels, dates and stores all foods in keeping with department standards.
16. Pre-dishes and packages food items in appropriate amounts.
17. Accountable for following the guidelines for attendance, punctuality and overall dependability. Accountable for effective performance and follow-through of all assigned responsibilities and for completing responsibilities within designated (or agreed upon) timeframes. Completes responsibilities in a manner consistent with organizational policy, goals and values.
18. Responsible for the “Accountabilities” associated with this position in support of the organization.
19. Performs other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED for the position:
- High School graduate or equivalent combination of education and experience
- A valid Washington State “Food and Beverage Workers” Permit
- Knowledge of safety, sanitation and food-handling standards and practices.
- Recent food service, cashiering or customer service work experience OR any combination of experience and education that would demonstrate the capability to perform the duties
- Must be able to effectively communicate with customers, fellow employees and other departments.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to multi task in a fast paced, constantly changing environment.
- Capable of efficient time management.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service.
- Basic math skills (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division) for cash handling purposes.
- Basic understanding of POS functionality.
This position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement between EvergreenHealth and the Service Employees International Union (SEIU) Healthcare 1199NW. Union membership is optional.
EvergreenHealth offers a rich benefit package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life and Disability Benefits, Employer Match Retirement Plan, Employee Discounts and Commuter Benefits including Transit Pass for Commuters.