Clinical Informatics Specialist II
Functions as a liaison between EvergreenHealth’s clinical areas and the IT department. This includes the primary responsibility of determining the needs and requirements for clinical applications in acute, ambulatory and home care settings. Works with staff and physicians to optimize the usage of clinical systems through education and training, quality outcomes, and providing support in accordance with organizational goals. Performs workflow analysis of multidisciplinary healthcare provider activities, and translates into optimal system design and content for organizational and unit-based practice.
- Works with users to define system requirements for content (data elements) and successful integration into workflow.
- Performs workflow analysis of multidisciplinary healthcare provider activities, and translates into optimal system design and content for organizational and unit-based practice.
- Leads, facilitates, and consults with multidisciplinary healthcare provider work teams in the specification and design of the EMR for order management, clinical data repository, documentation, clinical pathways, and clinical and operational decision support.
- Configures and builds EMR applications, using configuration and version control principles.
- Develops unit, functional and integration test plans; conducts and reports results of application, system and performance testing.
- Conducts formal and informal staff and provider training and assists with monitoring competencies regarding use of the Electronic Medical Records (EMR).
- Works with educational resources to develop training curriculum and end-user documentation and learning aids.
- Acts as an expert resource to staff by anticipating and identifying educational, procedural and functional problems associated with the implementation of the EMR.
- Applies change management principles during the implementation of the EMR and assists staff in making the transition from current to automated systems processes.
- Monitors system impact on user and departmental workflows and incorporates results into system enhancements.
- Works with clinicians from all departments, to identify areas where clinical information systems can effectively support and enhance their clinical process.
- Provides onsite and remote support to clinicians and others during application implementations and as needed. Works closely with Information Technology Customer Support services to provide efficient and responsive support to end user staff.
- Serves as the primary contact and mentor, along with other members of the Clinical Informatics Team, for the clinical information systems super users across all departments.
- Facilitates interdepartmental communications and acts as a liaison between the IT department and other departments within the health system.
- Prepares educational materials, newsletters and other supportive documentation for users on an ongoing basis. Maintains current and accurate documentation for users. Participates in departmental meetings to provide ongoing education and assist in issue resolution.
- Coordinates the improvement of clinician documentation through a variety of methods such as job aids, training, and quality improvement strategies for clinical staff.
- Trains, educates, and instructs clinical users on features, operation, and usage of software systems.
- Manages, trouble shoots, applies resolution and provides prompt feedback to end users on Service Requests.
- Participates proactively in issue prevention and problem resolution through effective use of assessment, evaluation, planning and communication. Takes call on a rotating basis as necessary for after-hours user support.
- Develops and communicates change control procedures and clinical updates for the EMR.
- Monitors system performance, and reports to IT when anomalies, errors, inaccuracies, or inefficiencies occur. Makes recommendations as needed.
- Responsible for assigned tasks within the specification of the project management schedule for maintenance of various applications throughout their life-cycle (implementation, upgrades, etc.).
- Performs other duties as assigned.
License, Certification, Education or Experience:
REQUIRED for the position:
- Bachelor’s degree in Healthcare and/or Information Sciences or Licensed Healthcare professional (RN, RT, PT, etc.)
- Five years of direct work experience in an acute care, ambulatory or home care setting
- Medical terminology and understanding of workflows
- Must be proficient and have a strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel, Word, etc.)
- Knowledge of Epic, Cerner or other EMR
- Adept at persuading and training physicians and staff to adopt new workflows and tools, requiring strong knowledge of change management
- Knowledge of adult learning and training methods
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of all medical, financial, and legal information
- Ability to complete work assignments accurately and in a timely manner
- Ability to communicate effectively, with excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to handle difficult situations involving patients, physicians, or others in a professional manner
- Ability to work independently, exercise creativity, and maintain a positive attitude
- Ability to manage multiple and simultaneous responsibilities and to prioritize scheduling of work
- Strong and sound competency in mapping real-life nursing and physician practices to informatics applications
- Strong knowledge of systems analysis, workflow planning, gathering business requirements and transforming them into functional specifications
- Broad knowledge of healthcare operations and associate technologies
- Ability to read and understand technical manuals, procedural documentation, and healthcare guides
- Excellent ability to translate technical terminology for consumption by non-technical audiences
- Good familiarity with project management, quality assurance, and information systems design
- Awareness of current IT security standards, applicable privacy laws, Joint Commission accreditation standards
- Ability to lead and recommend documentation strategy changes to meet current safety and quality trends
DESIRED for the position:
- Experience with Epic