Dental Hygienist (Temporary Part-Time)
Provide quality dental care and associated services to patients under the general supervisor of a Dentist and using established dental hygiene procedures. Assist other staff in a variety of patient care, office and laboratory duties. Perform broad responsibilities for clinic and community dental health education activities.
Equitas Health prioritizes the safety of staff and patients. All dental clinic staff are provided with face shields, N-95s, and surgical gowns. We also have installed air filtration systems and intra-oral dry shields. Dental staff are also currently receiving COVID-19 incentive pay over and above their regular salaries.
MAJOR AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Improve the oral health of patients through the delivery of periodontal therapies and other dental hygiene-related services.
- Provide direct patient care and dental services as trained, licensed and assigned.
- Assess dental condition and needs of patient using approved patient screen procedures, including medical history review, dental charting and periodontal charting.
- Evaluate overall oral health, examining oral cavity for signs of periodontal disease or possible cancers, including recessed and bleeding gums, and oral lesions.
- Take digital radiographs as prescribed by dentist.
- Enhance the efficiency of the clinic by performing expanded duties as allowable by law and as directed by the dentist.
- Ensure all patients enjoy a positive experience, and are treated with the care and compassion expected.
- Ensure all patient records and related documentation are managed and maintained timely, accurately, and consistent with all HIPPA and related regulations and requirements.
- Document dental history or chief complaint; record and report pertinent observations and patient reactions to dentist, as appropriate.
- Document lab procedures and ensure follow up on results.
- Follow through with oral hygiene procedures in accordance with treatment plans prescribed by the attending dentist. Procedures may include: Prophylaxis, periodontal scaling, root planning, debridement, supra and subgingival scaling and curettage, application of fluoride treatments, and application of protective sealants.
- Assist with or initiate emergency measures for sudden adverse developments during treatment of patients.
- Educate patients in oral hygiene and dental care, including proper tooth brushing, flossing, nutrition and need for professional care.
- Ensure all tasks provided and associated with patient care, patient administrative processes, and related duties comply with all regulatory and accreditation standards, as well as clinic policies and procedures.
- Ensure direct patient care is delivered using established dental hygiene procedures.
- Uphold and consistently represent the values and mission of the organization at all times.
- Ensure compliance and attention to all corporate policies and procedures.
- Demonstrate knowledge of established oral hygiene concepts and periodontal therapies.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of dentistry procedures, clinic infection control procedures, cleaning and sterilization of instruments, tray set-up and materials.
- Complete continuing education as necessary to retain state license.
- Strive for continuous growth and development of Cultural Competency exhibiting an understanding, awareness, and respect for diversity.
- Interact positively with a diverse, sometimes difficult, and demanding patient population.
- Provide service in a manner that is appropriate for the patients’ age; demonstrate knowledge and skills necessary to meet the patient’s physical, psychosocial, education and safety needs.
- High School Diploma (or equivalent)
- Successful completion of an accredited dental hygienist program
- Current Registered Dental Hygienist with State of Ohio licensure
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND OTHER QUALIFICATIONS:
- CPR Certification (training can be provided upon hire)
- Commitment to preventive dental care
- Demonstrated success in working independently, prioritization and problem solving
- Demonstrated success in computer skills including ability to use computer for scheduling, dental records and digital x-rays
- Knowledge/interest in providing care to diverse patient population
- Written and oral bilingual fluency in language spoken by our patient population (for example, English/Spanish or English/Polish) strongly preferred
Background check and reference checks will be conducted. Hours may vary, including working some evenings and weekends based on workload. Individuals are not considered applicants until they have been asked to visit for an interview and at that time complete an application for employment. Completing the application does not guarantee employment. In accordance with Equitas Health’s Drug-Free Workplace Policy, pre-employment drug testing will be administered. EOE/AA