Legal Operations Specialist
Reporting to the General Counsel, the Legal Operations Specialist assists in managing the organization’s legal and compliance department. The Operations Specialist must ensure high quality legal support services at Equitas Health. Specifically, the Legal Operations Specialist is responsible for managing outside counsel projects, budget, and relationships; knowledge management; contract management; risk management and insurance oversight; conflicts of interest; and corporate governance. The Legal Operations Specialist will partner with the General Counsel and Senior Leaders and Directors in developing, implementing, and managing the legal operations of the organization. This position requires skills to assist in creating an environment/culture to enable Equitas Health to fulfill its mission and meet or exceed its goals.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Essential functions of the job include, but are not limited to, exercising legal and professional judgment; traveling, driving or having reliable transportation; written communication; relationship building; utilizing a computer for typing and research; attending meetings; and presenting to small groups.
- Contracts Management. Maintain the contracts management program, including writing policies and procedures and training leadership. Keep contracts database organized with proper identifiers. Responsible for reporting functionality of contracts database. Build vendor/financial reporting mechanism to protect the organization’s assets. Build and modify templates and approved clause library for contracts.
- Policies and Procedures. Ensure department directors review department-specific policies and procedures on an annual basis using the Policy Management Table. Work with Compliance Manager to create Policy Change Summaries for the appropriate Board Committees and for staff attestations. Track the following regarding policies and procedures: (1) due dates from directors; (2) due dates for committees; (3) board approvals; (4) attestations; (5) network drive updates; (6) intranet updates; (7) committee meeting minute approvals; (8) full board meeting minute approvals.
- Department Operations. Build upon current legal and compliance department using approved maturity model. Act as project manager for the improvement of the legal department operations.
- Legal Education. Create training program for leadership and staff on legal department operations. Work closely with senior leadership to create appropriate legal training to address risk areas.
- Data Governance. Assist in building a formal data governance program. Organize all governance documents and identify those that we are missing, along with expiration date. Complete projects regarding governance, including mergers and re-organization activities.
- Outside Counsel Management. Assist General Counsel in spend management, issue management, project management, and relationship building. Ensure answers to legal questions are answered in a timely and professional manner.
- Knowledge management. Track legal and corporate compliance guidance and advice in an easily retrievable format.
- Insurance. Assist in organizational insurance coverage tracking. Manage insurance meetings with brokers. Manage applications process for agency. Coordinate updating certain lines of coverage based on risks identified.
- Legal Projects Management. Managing legal project folder and holding staff and outside counsel accountable to completion of tasks.
- Conflicts of Interest. Ensuring each conflict has written plan and process of review by supervisor. Coordinate new employee onboarding conflicts and their annual attestation.
- Diverse Vendor Management. Manage the diverse vendor program, including writing policies and procedures. Responsible for tracking, managing, and growing diverse vendor database.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and other Qualifications:
- Paralegal certificate preferred but not required.
- Must have Bachelors degree.
- Minimum of 8 years relevant experience (project management, general operations support, training coordination).
- Experience in a healthcare legal department preferred.
- Experience with operationalizing processes and workflows.
- Effective interpersonal skills including the ability to develop a rapport with all employees at all levels.
- Ability to competently follow through on investigating potential violations.
- Strong written, verbal, and presentation communication skills required.
- Strategic mindset with the ability to define strategy and drive implementation
- Demonstrated effective teamwork skills with the ability to effectively lead and support staff.
- Ability to work independently and efficiently with minimal supervision, including the ability to complete projects in a timely manner in a fast-paced and changing environment with multiple priorities and objectives.
- Must have sensitivity to, interest in and competence in cultural differences, HIV/AIDS, minority health, sexual practices, and a demonstrated competence in working with persons of color, and gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgender community.
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications and other computer applications required.
- Must have reliable transportation.
Hours are varied including some evenings and weekends. Background and reference checks will be conducted. In accordance with Equitas Health’s Drug-Free Workplace Policy, pre-employment drug testing will be administered. Individuals are not considered applicants until they have been asked to visit for an interview and at that time complete an application for employment. Completing the application does not guarantee employment.
In accordance with Equitas Health’s Drug-Free Workplace Policy, pre-employment drug testing will be administered. EOE/AA