Call Navigation Specialist
The Call Navigation Specialist will work closely with the medical, behavioral health and dental staff to ensure a smooth and efficient telephone answering, appointment scheduling, medical insurance screening and verification, patient data collection, and call routing. The Call Navigation Specialist will register and schedule patient appointments at all of our medical center locations via telephone.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Essential functions of the job include, but are not limited to, phone answering, scheduling, utilizing a computer for data entry and reporting, operating office equipment, conducting research, interacting with others and managing multiple schedules.
MAJOR AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Complete telephone calls in an accurate, timely and high quality manner and transfer calls to appropriate departments when needed.
- Communicate clearly, effectively and courteously with employees, patients, clients, volunteers and vendors.
- Schedule/cancel patient appointments for all health services, including medical center, behavioral health and dental.
- Collect information from patients including demographics, insurance, income information and other data required for patient scheduling.
- Complete medical insurance screening and verification.
- Refer appropriate patients to financial counselors or other support services.
- Update patient information on a regular basis. Responsible for obtaining and validating patient information from various sources to ensure accuracy and completeness.
- Responsible for daily data entry.
- Anticipate and respond to patient needs, as well as ensure appropriate follow-up
- Reschedule appointments related to clinic maintenance cancellation or provider absences.
- Verify patient appointments via phone, MyChart or other approved means before the appointment, and update the patients’ record.
- Assist with calling “no show” appointments following a no show” appointment.
- Provide information on outstanding referrals and prescription refills.
- Seek appropriate resources to address patient concerns efficiently and notify supervisor when difficult calls/situations occur.
- Participate in special projects and statistical reporting.
- Prepare and maintain health services patient/client records in compliance with HIPAA government regulations and in accordance with Equitas Health provider standards to ensure efficient services.
- Comply with the Equitas Health Healthcare Corporate Compliance Standards of Conduct and related policies and procedures.
- Contribute to a positive work environment by demonstrating unconditional positive regard to all Equitas Health employees, interns, etc. with an understanding, awareness, and respect for diversity.
- Demonstrate unconditional positive regard to clients and conduct all aspects of job responsibilities with a focus on exceptional customer service.
- Continuously grow and develop Cultural Competency, exhibiting an understanding, awareness, and respect for diversity.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND OTHER QUALIFICATIONS:
- High school diploma or GED is required.
- Three years of medical reception and/or medical call center experience.
- Demonstrated exemplary customer service skills.
- Experience with EPIC or other Electronic Health Record preferred.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Access, Excel, Word and Outlook).
- Effective communication skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients, medical staff, coworkers and the public.
- Ability to work efficiently without constant supervision and exercise a degree of initiative and judgment.
- Work well under pressure and possess the ability to be flexible.
- Team player with strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Must have sensitivity to, interest in and competence in cultural differences, HIV/AIDS, minority health, sexual practices, and a demonstrated competence in working with persons of color, and gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgender community.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
Background check and reference checks will be conducted. Hours may vary, including working some evenings and weekends based on workload. Individuals are not considered applicants until they have been asked to visit for an interview and at that time complete an application for employment. Completing the application does not guarantee employment. In accordance with Equitas Health’s Drug-Free Workplace Policy, pre-employment drug testing will be administered. EOE/AA