Non Medical Health Advocate
The Non-Medical Case Manager is responsible for providing case management services at Equitas Health and identifying and assisting HIV+ persons needing case management services throughout Ohio. This position promotes the independence, stability, and health of persons living with HIV by providing case management services at a non-medical level of care. The individual will operate in accordance with the established professional standards and guidelines as stated by the Ohio Revised Code. Client Advocacy Services operates in accordance with the established professional standards and guidelines for the National Association of Social Workers (NASW) and to adhere to NASW standards for social work management.
• Provide high quality case management for clients who are living with HIV and their families with a focus on viral suppression and other improved HIV related health outcomes, obtaining and maintaining insurance and prescription benefits, housing stability, as well as employment or other income attainment.
• Complete Ryan White and other assessments, annually and as needed, that identify individual treatment strengths and struggles related to viral suppression, maintenance of income and insurance benefits, and sustainable housing.
• Develop, monitor, and evaluate individual case plans for each assigned client at intake, bi-annually, and as needed thereafter. Case Plans will address services provided to the client within Equitas Health, as well as services managed within the community by other providers.
• Function as a central and primary access point for financial assistance programs, including but not limited to Ryan White Treatment Modernization Act (Parts A, B and C), HOPWA short term rental assistance, HOPWA short term rental assistance, and other assistance programs, as appropriate.
• Identify mental health crises and immediately consult with Supervisors whenever a crisis occurs. Non-Medical Case Managers will consult with active, ongoing Mental Health and Therapy Providers, as necessary and appropriate.
• Empower clients to link with and maintain resources such as housing, workforce development, respite, nutritional assistance, palliative care, chore assistance, transportation and social functions that help promote graduation.
• Engage client’s medical providers bi-annually and more often, when needed, to understand strengths and struggles related to CD4 count, viral loads, co-morbidities, and referrals to other services, such as dental, mental health, or specialty providers.
• Identify and engage health care professionals in the region to provide quality services to HIV+ individuals and establish new relationships in collaboration with ODH. Non-Medical Case Managers will refer Providers who seek a relationship with ODH to the appropriate contacts within ODH.
• Represent Equitas Health within the community in order to provide education and advocacy about the strengths and needs associated with individuals living with HIV.
• Work collaboratively within a multidisciplinary team.
• Non-Medical Case Managers are responsible to maintain documentation through Equitas Health, ODH, and other software systems. All documentation will be recorded and complete within two business days (48 hours) of provided service.
• Maintain confidentiality of clients by adhering to Equitas Health Confidentiality Policy and Procedure, HIPAA, and other established professional standards and guidelines.
• Effective written and verbal communication skills that ensure accurate and timely documentation, as well as successful sharing of information across various individuals and systems.
• Returns all correspondence within two business days (48 hours).
• Achieve productivity standards maintained by Equitas Health, including spending no less than 60% per month of hours worked directly engaging with clients, their families, and other informal supports.
• Participate in and complete Peer Review Audits monthly. Non-Medical Case Managers will maintain scores of no less than 90% on monthly peer reviews.
• Coordinate with clients in order to maintain Active status through Ryan White and other programs. Non-Medical Case Managers are responsible to have no less than 90% of their clients within date or identified as active in any given month.
• Attend trainings, as assigned, to improve case management skills related to written and verbal skills, putting theory into practice, and accurate documentation across multiple systems. Non-Medical Case Managers are required to attend 10 hours of HIV specific training annually.
• Medical Case Managers will utilize Motivational Interviewing (MI) techniques when engaging with clients. As appropriate, Supervisors will recommend and/or conduct MI trainings and Learning Groups. Supervisors and staff will review individual MI techniques and Supervisors will provide ongoing education and oversight with MI skills, as appropriate.
• Participate in Equitas Health Committees and Performance Improvement Teams as appropriate and assigned by direct supervisor.
• Prepare for and attend individual and group supervision per Supervisor’s schedule. Non-Medical Case Managers are responsible for bringing client concerns, process questions, and other needs to scheduled supervisions. Non-Medical Case Managers are required to attend 5 hours of supervision per month.
• Demonstrates unconditional positive regard (UPR) to clients, co-workers, community partners, and others. Non-Medical Case Manager will conduct all aspects of job responsibilities with a focus on exceptional customer service.
• Demonstrates continuous growth and development related to Equitas Health Values, exhibiting an understanding, awareness, and respect for diversity, inclusion, and cultural humility.
• Attend monthly, quarterly, and as needed meetings in-person or via phone or web conference.
• Utilize email, Microsoft Teams, phone, and other telecommunication options to participate in meetings across sites.
• Other duties as assigned related to this position by supervisor.
• Bachelor’s degree in a social science field (Social Work preferred) and at least 6 months experience in a social service setting, preferably 1 or more years; OR
• Associate’s degree with 1-3 years of experience working in a social service setting; OR
• High School Diploma/GED with 4-6 years of experience working in a social service setting
• Must have sensitivity to, interest in and competence in cultural differences, HIV/AIDS, minority health, sexual practices, and a demonstrated competence in working with persons of color, and gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgender community.
• Community-based Case Management, housing services and employment training experience desired.
• Proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications and other computer applications required.
• Reliable transportation or driver’s license and proof of auto insurance required.
• Knowledge and adherence to social work standards and ethics.
Background and reference checks will be conducted. In accordance with Equitas Health’s Drug-Free Workplace Policy, pre-employment drug testing will be administered. Hours may vary, including working some evenings and weekends based on workload. Individuals are not considered applicants until they have been asked to visit for an interview and at that time complete an application for employment. Completing the application does not guarantee employment. EOE/AA