Health Information Specialist
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Essential functions of the job include, but are not limited to, traveling, driving or having reliable transportation; written communication; relationship building; utilizing a computer for typing and research; attending meetings; high level of organization and detail oriented and presenting to small groups.
· Maintain, organize, and categorize correspondence received through Right Fax, and distribute and process as appropriate in OCHIN On Base in a timely manner.
· Create new procedures and processes to efficiently manage patient paperwork and records with the medical center team and to ensure paperwork is completed and submitted in a timely manner.
· Scan and upload patient records and designate them to the appropriate section in OCHIN.
· Direct the maintenance of all incoming faxes received by Equitas Health clinics to the appropriate staff in accordance with internal policies and with state and federal regulations.
- Maintain organized, audible, and thorough log of all internal and external requests.
- Ensures the privacy of all agency medical records, which include having a superior knowledge of HIPAA’s Privacy Rule requirements concerning patient rights, administrative requirements, and appropriate uses and disclosures and assisting in operationalizing those requirements.
- Work with the appropriate organization departments to ensure compliance with applicable HIPAA Security Rule standards (administrative, technical, and physical safeguards).
- Responsible for the integrity and quality of the electronic medical records needed to provide safe, quality care.
- Keeping abreast of any new computer technologies, new state and federal laws, and any new regulations enacted by Medicare, Medicaid, and insurance companies.
· As needed, direct the maintenance of all patients’ medical records in accordance with internal policies and with state and federal regulations. Maintain organized, audible, and thorough log of all internal and external requests.
- Respond to requests for protected health information, including internal requests for purposes of research, fundraising, quality improvement, marketing, compliance, audits, etc. and external requests from patients, attorney representatives, government agencies, treatment providers, payers, grantors, law enforcement, boards, etc.
- High school diploma preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and other Qualifications:
- Experience in a community based health care setting preferred.
- Working knowledge of HIPAA’s Privacy Rule and Security Rule preferred.
- Practical knowledge of medical terminology and record keeping preferred.
- Knowledge and experience with electronic health record software, specifically Epic, preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills a must, which includes excellent customer service skills.
- Knowledge and experience with the diversity of the gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgendered community required.
- Must have sensitivity to, interest in and competence in cultural differences, HIV/AIDS, minority health, sexual practices, and a demonstrated competence in working with persons of color, and gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgendered community.
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications and other computer applications required.
- Must have reliable transportation and valid Ohio driver’s license.
Hours are varied including some evenings and weekends. Background and reference checks will be conducted. In accordance with Equitas Health’s Drug-Free Workplace Policy, pre-employment drug testing will be administered. Individuals are not considered applicants until they have been asked to visit for an interview and at that time complete an application for employment. Completing the application does not guarantee employment.